getting started

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
I have decided to try the expediting business. My interest is in using a cargo van or sprinter. Are any current owners out there who need a driver? I think I should try to drive for someone for at least 1 year,b4 I purchase my own vehicle. My driving record is perfect, no tickets in over 25 yrs.( hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Jim, Click on FREE CLASSIFIEDS in the blue bar at the top of this page,Then click on "driving jobs and opportunities. You"ll perhaps find something of intrest there. GOOD LUCKand BNE CAREFUL

Pappy
34 years
tractor/trailer

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
Thanks Pappy, I did that and I also went to the expo in woodhaven.WOW things are happening FAST! I am now thinking seriously about going out in a cargo van for a fleet owner to learn the business and, make sure I'm suited to the life. I have already been approved by Panther 11 and, have been put on a list for owners to contact. I thought it would take longer than this. I don't even know yet what I should expect to receive in compensation. ANY HELP OUT THERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Remember JLM7201, when you drive a truck for someone else make sure everything is in writing with the owner.
Some things to have in writing are.
1-Compensation on loads.
2-Fuel,tolls,repairs,oil changes etc. who pays.
3-What is expected of you [example how many days out on the road does the owner expect.What percentage of availability do they expect. Do you have the say on what loads you accept. Can you use the van for personel use.]
4-Where is the vehicle to be returned to when you leave the owner.
5-What happens if the vehicle needs major repairs while on the road.
Is there any compensation for hotels,meals,travel expenses back etc.
6-Are you a sub-contractor or an employee.
7-When and how are you paid,and how long after you leave will you receive your last settlement. Clarify any deductions that may come out of your last settlement.[example damage to vehicle,not returning to designated drop off point. etc..]
Take pictures of vehicle inside and out the day you pick it up write mileage down,make owner aware in writing and have a signed copy that he received it of any damage that the vehicle has.
These are only suggestions you should have an attorney look over any contract.