Getting Started

Wren

Expert Expediter
I would like to start a business in expediting using a van or 4x4 dually pickup and would like any information on getting started...and also I would like to know which would bring in the most profit in expediting a cargo van or driving a pickup?

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wren: I think that if you search the archives of this web site, you will be able to start get answers to your questions. First, there are few pick-ups being used in this business. Their cargo capacity is too small, they do not have a sleeper, and it would be difficult to load and unload pallets. (The fork lift drivers would destroy your tail gate.) The pick-up could be used for local courier, depending on the needs and demand in your area.

The van guys would probably tell that the van would be a better way to go. However, there has also been a lot of discussion here about vans and single vs. team drivers. Teams appear to be doing better than single drivers. In addition, many of the van drivers are feeling that they are becoming fewer in numbers and the straight trucks are a better option.

You need to get out and talk to drivers in your area. Decide if you want to drive locally, regionally or long haul.

Keep in mind, that late July and August are traditionally slow times of year.

Good luck & Drive Safe

witchita

Expert Expediter
Based on what you're asking it would seem to me that you would do well with either... BUT,not in expediting per se. Go to your local airport and solicit the forwarders(ie;Danzas,Kuene&Nagel,expeditors- international,etc AND their local cartage agent(they will run you at a % but get you alot of volume). I used to run operations for a local carrier that did all the regional work for several in Dallas TX. and I had several"contractors" to do the a,b and c hot-shot work(extended milage, out of state runs and local"specials" (after hours,wknd,holiday).Contractors save O/T! and most local drivers didn't have the hours (or desire) to begin with...we made a couple of bucks while making sure our customer was happy knowing we could provide COMPLETE 24 hr.service. It paid VERY well to those guys,around 40 bucks a pop min. for local spcl's and 1.35+ a mile past the area a,b,c,and d guide lines!$1,000.00+ wkly chks were the norm.Obviously your loadcapacity will have a bearing on what you make. Its not forced dispatch but say "no" too many times and you don't fill their gap! BYE! 24-7 availability but you are home most of the time. Runs pay enough one way to cover both so if you find a back haul, BONUS! or if the company- does you can work out the split as you go.Make sure your p/u has a high topper if you go that way. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.