getting started

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
i am currently working in a factory, i hate it!!!! have been thinking about going over the road in a cargo van. I could use some advice about living out on the road. how long you have to stay out to make a decent living . etc. i have applied to tst and it looks like it's a go as soon as i get my van. I'd like to talk to some drivers to get their ideas about the business.
thanks for any help
jim morris

paperback1

Expert Expediter
jim, don't go to TST in a van. I have 2 D units there and they are doing good, but vans don't do well. As far as how long ya need to stay out, that depends on what kind of money you need to make. I would say 3 weeks at a time is about average time out I guess. As far as life on the road, it's hard to describe, but if you like being alone you'll like it. What part of the country are you in? You can try TST, but I don't think you'll make much in a van, plus, with Ford and GM shutting down the first 2 weeks of July, not gonna be a lot to do anyways. My guys are going on vacation, and I'm gonna have some work done on the trucks. Good Luck to ya:+

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
thanks for the input paperback. i tried fed excc got no response from online app. i'm thinking of starting in van to learn the business for a yr. or two. then moving to a d unit. I have cdl a with haz mat & was out in t.t. for a short time. i think being out 3 wks. at a time is not a problem. I live in detroit suburbs. mt clemens mi.don't plan on starting until aug. i can afford low earnings for awhile but not forever.;)

paperback1

Expert Expediter
My advise to you would be to drive a D unit for someone for at least 6 months to see if it's for you, this way if you find you don't like it, you're not out any money. You are in a good area for this line of work. What kind of driving experience do you have? What kind of vehicals and how long did you drive?

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
i drove for schneider. i only drove through their training program and 1 month locally with atrainer. i went on the road 2 weeks by myself. not long enough to know for sure but , long enough to know i did not want tractor trailer. i think i meant i might want to move later to a c unit. i drove a cab over international. i encountered a lot of problems in finding places to park and sleep. also when i was recruited by schneider they made some promises that they were not ready to keep. so i got mad and quit. i know now not to believe everything a recruiter tells me. when you are o.t.r. in a van can you stop at a ymca for a workout and a shower? i know you didn't seem to be able to in a t.t. if i'm in warm weather and have a layover i might like to stop and hit a bucket of golf balls sometime. if i can do some of the things out o.t.r. that i like to do at home, i'm sure i can adjust to life o.t.r. i understand there is a lot of sitting and waiting for your next load. do you have to a wait at designated spots or can you stay in the general area? can you be away from the van and get loads or do you have to monitor the qualcom? these are some of the questions i'm not sure a recruiter will answer truthfully. a driver i think i can trust.
thanks again jim

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>do you have to a wait at designated spots or can you stay in the >general area?

Usually staying in the general area is good enough.

>can you be away from the van and get loads or do you
>have to monitor the qualcom?

My Qualcomm has a pager I can take with me. It beeps as soon as a waiting message is received at the Qualcomm. I also keep my cell phone on me. When laying over I list myself as available on Qualcomm with the cell number as secondary means of contact.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The following is a posting I did a couple of months back. It seems to be appropriate almost every time a newbie comes along asking questions about this business. Here are a few questons a person may want to ask themselves before jumping head first into this business.

To start with, a person needs to ask themselve if they are financially able to ride out tough times. How long can you survive on $100 or $200 per week? When your truck needs repairs (and it will), will you have the financial backing to fix it or do you have the mechanical aptitude and tools to do the repairs yourself? (My experience with an FL70 is that it usually doesn't get out of the shop for less than $1000.) Can you sit in a parking lot for 3 or 4 or more days, waiting for dispatch to call? If you are a team, can you sit there with your teammate or spouse without killing each other? Can you turn a load down because you know that there is little chance of getting a load out of the destination area? What kind of support will you get from home? Are you going to hear a lot of "I told you so"? If you have kids at home are they going to understand that you will be gone for extended periods of time and will miss significant events in their lives. Do you have the patience to sit for hours to be loaded or unloaded by people who probably have no empathy for the fact that you are paid by the mile and they are paid by the hour? After being awake for 12 to 14 hours, yet having put yourself in the log book as in the sleeper or off duty, will you be able to make that hot run that has to go 600 miles in 10 hours? The dispatcher has a lot more concern for getting that load delivered on time, than he does about your physical well being. It is rare that there will be anyone out there that will genuinely care about your mental or physical well being - shippers, dispatchers and receivers are concerned about the load. They do not wish you ill, but they truely do not care. You are your own responsibility, accountable only to yourself. Those are some of the questions I believe you should consider before you even talk to a dispatch.

My observations tell me that a person should not get in the expediting business without first driving for someone else. Sure, you will not make as much money, but then you are not taking any large financial risks. Drive for a while, learn the ropes, talk to other expeditors about their equipment and the companies they drive for. Learn where to get the truck repaired, where the safe and not so safe places are to park, eat etc. Miss a few holidays and special events with the family. Spend three days sitting in a truck stop 1,000 miles from home; missing a child's birthday. Drive the long hours without enough sleep and then sit for 3 hours to be unloaded at some auto plant by some guy making $20.00+ per hour that takes 15 minutes to get ready to go on a half hour break and then takes another 15 minutes trying to retrain himself on what his job is.

When I drive on the open road, I honestly enjoy it. But expediting isn't just driving the open road. It is about a lot of things - including how to run a small business. The O/O is a small business person and needs to understand the fundementals of running a small business. You can pick up a lot of that while driving for some else.

Drive Safe

jlm7201

Expert Expediter
i would be willing to drive for someone else in order to learn the business. but, i have been unable to find a position other than in a tractor trailer. i don't think i want to drive tractor trailer. unless i was teaming and i don't know anyone looking for a partner. as i said i have the cdla w haz mat and an excellent driving record and have been unable to find work in this business, due to my lack of exp. or age or comb. of both. any cos. out there willing to hire inexperienced for c unit drivers that you know of?

thanks for all input
jim

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just did a quick count and there were 17 or 18 postings in the classified ad section of this site, looking for drivers. Have you checked them out? There was also one posting in the General Forum looking for a driver. You are correct in assuming that you could have difficulty finding a driving job if you are considered to be too young or inexperienced. What you may have to do is start out driving locally for a delivery company and pick up a bit of experience. If you should decide to get into this business and buy your own truck, take your time a pick out a good used truck, rather than new. There are plenty of used (reposessed) and a few trade ins out there. There are also used trucks available at this web site. BUT FIRST - talk to a few drivers and get a feel for the businss. Come to the Expo in August and you would have the opportunity to meet with a lot of drivers. Check with Lawrence and see if they will be having any kind of forum for new & want-to-be new drivers to sit down with some of these experienced drivers and discuss the business.

Good Luck and Drive Safe

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here is another statistic that you may find interesting. You had mentioned that you were considering getting into expediting and driving a van. I just took a look at the classified section for vans for sale. Out of the first 10 vans listed, 7 of them were 2002 & 2003 model years. I am will to bet that most, if not all of those vans are being offered by people that want to get out or have gotten out of the expediting business. That should be an indication of what is going on within the business.

There have been other discussions on this web site about the amount of demand for vans verses straight trucks.

Good Luck and Drive Safe.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Larry, did you find anything to put in your van? I think you said you wanted to insulate it.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Tony:

Yes I did set it up to be insulated. I am having a local van conversion company spray the walls, doors and ceiling and then they will line it with luan (sp?) board (the same thing that is used under flooring in homes. I am then going to carpet it as well as do the carpentry for raised floor for storage and cupboards, bed etc. I am also adding a large window and power vent. Like I mentioned before, this van is more for recreation than for work. I'll save a few feet on the end of the extended 3500 for hauling. I decided not to go with metal, but thanks for the information. I am now looking for a used 24' car hauler and will put in large side doors for loading pallets. Then I will sell my 98 FL 70.

Drive Safe

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sounds like a winner!!!
Let me know how it goes? I may do the same to my vans, or at least to the one I drive now. It doesn’t have anything on the inside, and like you, the noise is driving me crazy.
Keep in mind Larry, that once you put that other window in the van and the bed, (try and make it look like a seat) you will be able to reregister the van (replace the plates on the van) as a non commercial vehicle and your plates will cost less per year.

i.e.: Van registered as a Cargo Van - plates $95.00 per year. Same van registered as a conversion van – plates $36.00 pre year. There is a substantial savings in the proper registration of the vehicle per year.