getting started with no money

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never heard of it. It would'nt really benefit a company as vans are very easy to come by. If you would consider a straight truck, Express One recently started a Lease to Own program. It only takes about $800 to be signed up and running. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Sweettalker:

I know of no expedite carrier that offers a lease purchase plan for a cargo van; however, that's not to say they don't exist. There are leased owner/operators that have offered lease/purchase contracts with drivers and you might find one or two in the free classifieds on this site.

I have inferred from your subject line that you would like to enter this business with no money of your own. That would be a mistake for you and the van owner. Expediting is a business that requires start-up money as well as operating capital. You'll most likely need to pay for a DOT physical, CDL and HAZMAT endorsement, background investigation and driving record check. If you are approved, you'll need road money for fuel, food and incidentals.

Your revenue flow will likely take about two weeks, so if you have no money as you imply, you'd be best off getting a driving or co-driving job until you can save sufficient reserves to enter this business

Our best wishes for success in expediting.

sweettalker618

Seasoned Expediter
thank-you for your response i guess ill have to try working for an o/o first then go from there it was worth a shot though thank you

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Going with a fleet owner first has numerous advantages over owning your own truck, or trying to, especially if you have no money.

Expediting is a FANTASTIC opportunity for people who can live on the road and want to improve their financial circumstances or even turn their lives around.

I know of few other opportunities where with a clean record and a small amount of start-up money (for the items Terry mentioned), someone can quickly get into an expensive fleet-owner's truck to drive in an arrangement that can pay good money.

You don't need a college degree. You don't need previous experience. The gross income you will earn on your first load is the same income a 20-year veteran would earn on the same load. Some of that will go to a fleet owner in return for the use of his or her truck and the coaching and other support you receive. While it's no fun to see the money go to someone else, a good fleet owner is worth the price. It is no small thing to be seated in a money-making piece of equipment that someone else paid for. A good fleet owner's coaching can help you learn and grow in the business.

If you work smart, live within your means on the road, and manage your money well, you can go from having no money in the bank to having several thousand dollars in a fairly short time. If you keep at it for several years, you can work your way to a point where you can afford your own rig, if that is what you want. If you make a long-term career of it, you can work you way toward a comfortable retirement and have a lot of fun along the way.