getting my own insurance

truckerdjm

Active Expediter
i'm looking at getting my own insurance ( liability&cargo ) and is it wroth my time to do this? and can i work for any company that will have me haul loads for them? is there companys out there that works this way?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Getting your own insurance can be a good idea, depending on the carrier you choose. In a decade plus I've had trucks with a few companies. Some offered reasonable (if that term can be used) insurance and some (probably more like most) saw insurance as another way to screw the truck owners. I got my own insurance through CIS, one of the sponsors here on EO. They are excellent people to work with and they know everything that needs to be known about expediting insurance. For insurance, there's CIS and then there's everyone else. I am not affiliated with them and I get no compensation other than my own satisfaction with them. Good luck.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
i'm looking at getting my own insurance ( liability&cargo ) and is it wroth my time to do this? and can i work for any company that will have me haul loads for them? is there companys out there that works this way?

what kind of truck are you running? if van or sprinter, then maybe to all your questions; but if straight truck, then, probably not, to all your questions.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
well if your getting your own insurance liability and cargo you might as well go ahead and pay the extra $300 and get your authority along with it. then you can get your loads from a multitude of brokers and customers. there are carriers that will let you run freight for them with just your own insurance. a lot of Couriers. express family, mead trans for instance but really like I said your better off with your own authority if your going that far you might as well go all the way.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had liability and physical damage with CIS rather than buying it from the carrier. The cargo insurance I left to the carrier.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
ok thanks everybody is there a web suite and can go to find freight for a cargo van?

simply, no. except for maybe uship.com, but it is nothing like the tv show.

all the load boards are for the big trucks, virtually nothing for small stuff, especially for one vehicle operations.

you would be better signing on with one of the big expedite companies that advertise all over this website.