Getting exercise while in the truck

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
I'mlooking for others input as to how you get exercise while in the truck. I mean in the truck. I walk around outside, but we spend so much time in the truck and you can only sleep so much. I need to exercise, we have an 84in sleeper, but a full size bed. Not alot of floor space. So any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
A couple suggestions:

Sit down sit ups
While driving with both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, contract your upper and lower abdomen and hold it for a count to ten. Each one counts as 1 situp.

Wall pushups
Stand about 15in from the wall. Place both palms against the wall and lean in towards the wall and puch back out. This is like a pushup except standing.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
While driving, you can do isometric exercises, contracting & releasing muscles from your toes to your shoulders, which can kill a lot of time, and on your bed, you can use a bungee cord as a resistance band: hook one end to something stationary, & pull against it, slowly. To use it for leg exercises, wrap your end around an ankle. anything that weighs a couple pounds, like a heavy can, or flashlight, can work for weight lifting for your arms, though you'd probably want a weight band for your ankles, lol.
I have frequent pain in the trapezius muscle, running from hairline at the nape of my neck, all the way down to my lower back, and a great way to relieve that is to lie on your back, with a tennis ball placed under the muscle, then you move slowly, in small increments. the pressure really helps!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We carry and use the following fitness equipment in the back (inside the reefer body) of our truck:

1. Jump rope
2. Free weights (small dumbells)
3. A mini stair stepper
4. Tennis shoes
5. Furniture pads
6. Load bars

When time permits, we'll run the reefer to bring the box up or down to room temperature. The wooden floor is like a gym floor. The furniture pads make great exercise mats on which to do push-ups, sit-ups, squat-thrusts and any other floor exercises you wish to do. The load bars are used to hook our toes under while doing sit-ups and to form a bench on which we sit and rest between sets. Tennis shoes are for brisk walks if the opportunity exists.

All that can be done if a truck stop shower is nearby. Our new truck has a shower in it, making it OK to break sweat more often and freeing us from the undesirability of "blowing our shower" soon after taking one at a truck stop.

While we have and actually use the above gear, we've not done so as much as we tought we would, simply because they've kept us running pretty hard and there has not been time. Sleep, truck maintenance, and keeping up with the paperwork comes first.

When we designed the truck, I included pass-throughs into the reefer body so 110 volt AC power could be routed back there. That is to power a TV on which we may one day play movies to watch as we work out.

The best news so far regarding diet and exercise is we have lost some weight since moving into the new truck. That's because of exercise but improved diet that is made possible by the larger refrigerator and freezer and cupboards. Because we can now carry and prepare better food, we're eating better and less.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey candy,try installing a pole in the sleeper this would be a good way to exercise and would probaly get brians attention.it would also give brutus a place to hike it on those long west coast runs.I will start saving my dollar bills for the next time I see ya lol

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Mr. Snappy, your input will taken into consideration. We will be going out this weekend looking at poles and other options. Be careful of those car running beside you!!!!!!! You never know what you will see driving it.