Getting close

alberta

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I posted a while back about starting expedited around June. We are still thinkingn about it, but have a question before we jump into anything.

Is there any money in it? We would be running as a team and would work for someone who is leased on to a company at first. This is the only thing that is keeping us from doing this. Neil, my soon-to-be husband in May, works for a company here. He has gone back to this company twice already and knows that if he quits and it doesn't work out then he will not be able to go back for a third time and he will not really have a place to work if expediting doesn't work out. So, he is really hesitant about leaving his current job for this especially if it doesn't work out.

Any information would be most welcome and helpful.

Amber

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Driving for an owner is a good idea, but you're not going to get rich. Depending on how often you need to be home, and what expenses you have there, you may or may not be able to keep afloat. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Rocky Ridgerunner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have you made your decision yet? Here are some things you may want to consider. My husband and I have been married for 20 years, knew all there was to know about one another till we crawled into a truck together 5 years ago. We're still trucking (or vanning, now) together, but I can't count the number of times our nuptuals have been tested. It is very hard to spend 24/7, or more, with one person. You have to struggle to keep your individuality, you learn things about your mate that you didn't want to know, and your self esteem is frequently challanged. On the other hand, you learn to trust like you never knew was possible. By that I mean be able to crawl in the back and sleep, knowing he/she is as sleepy as you are. You have to trust that he/she will pull over if the sleepiness becomes too much. You have to set 'rules' and trust each other to stick to them. You're a working team and you depend on each other at all times.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you, just giving you food for thought. HAVE A SAFE RIDE!

alberta

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have actually decided to wait a little while. We have talked to some people who have told us now is not the time to get involved in expediting. They say the industry is too saturated. There are also some people we have talked to who have told us that they haven't stopped running. So, I think it is just best for us to wait a little while, get used to being married, and get on our feet financially before we go make a job change.

Last year back in July, he was driving a flat bed and I went out on the road with him for a while and I know exactly what you mean about being together 24/7, but we have come a long way from our first vacation from NC to TX to being able to handle each others driving and being around each other all the time. I am not saying that we won't get irritated with each other, but we have tested it before.

Thanks for the very informative advice.

Amber