Generator Storage

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Do any of you straight truck drivers carry a generator inside the box?
Would doing so cause any problems such as having it in there with HAZMAT loads or food products?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Why in the box ?
Could you build a toolbox, accessible from the outside, into the nose of the box ? This would give you access when on a sealed load.
Where's the gas can going ?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I'm about to buy a generator for my straight truck. I'm buying an under-bed toolbox, probably from Tractor Supply and I think instead of having it welded to the truck, I'll just drill holes in the floor of the box and attach it with carriage bolts. This way when the time comes to sell the truck I'll be able to move my gen-box setup to my new truck.

Also, I'm thinking I'll be playing around with ventilation while trying to keep water out and it might take a few attempts to get it just right. And then there's the hillbilly remote start idea I've been chewing on... (I might possibly be spending too many hours alone in a truck :))

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Thinking of taking a small portable generator with us to run a ceramic space heater.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
With the simplicity, reliability of modern diesel fired heaters (espar/webasco ) I'd recommend just opening the purse strings.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
With the simplicity, reliability of modern diesel fired heaters (espar/webasco ) I'd recommend just opening the purse strings.

I know you weren't talking to me but the reason why I'll be going the generator route instead of the very tempting Webasco route, is that the generator can do so much more. Electric would mean simplified cooking and the ability to run power tools. I'm thinking an oil pan heater would be good for the engine and hopefully I'll have enough juice left over to keep me warm enough in my soon to be insulated sleeper.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Realize it's a ST question....but can anyone comment on CV storage for generator and gas container?

Only use the Honeywell for the portable AC. Anything against these items being in the van?

And while we're off topic for a moment.....what is the rule coming in and out of Florida for the veggie check station? Does one have to hauling fruit or veggies to pull in? Or is it mandatory either way?

It says ALL vehicles must enter station...including vans.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The Florida Ag inspection is also a fuel inspection where they are looking for IFTA stickers. If you have to scale you have to stop unless you get a green light on PrePass.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Check out Billg27's front hitch setup. Pretty cool.

I've seen a pretty neat front brush guard which actually contains a built in platform for a generator, centered.

Generator OK riding outside like this (covered, of course)....in the Winter? Did I just hijack this thread? If so, I'll start a new one, or find a like topic thread. :p

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I've seen a pretty neat front brush guard which actually contains a built in platform for a generator, centered.

Generator OK riding outside like this (covered, of course)....in the Winter? Did I just hijack this thread? If so, I'll start a new one, or find a like topic thread. :p

I would think boxed would be best.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My setup..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1379269337406.jpg
    1379269337406.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 73