Generator Running Location

WiscoJackrabbit

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello all,

I believe I posted this in the wrong forum earlier. Maybe I can get some traction here concerning a generator question. I apologize if this has been discussed before(IT HAS to have been) but I cannot find a discussion in the historical threads on where those WITHOUT CARRIERS for your generator are running them. I'm just getting into the business and will be sweating it out for a while with fans and a roof exhaust vent in my Promaster, but I am giving serious consideration to a rooftop AC and generator in the future. As for heat, I'll cross that bridge when Winter gets closer.

So I see that some have their generator mounted to the rear door hinges, some have a front end carrier(mighty expensive to put a front receiver and cradle on a Promaster) and some are running the Onan under the chassis. I'm trying to be thrifty here, so those are not viable options for me at this time.

Are there any of you out there who carry the generator inside and set it outside when you stop? Do you just chain it to the chassis? Is it frowned upon to set it outside the van while parked at a truckstop. (Yes, I've already given thought to making sure the van is upwind from the exhaust.) I was thinking of a Honda 2000 with a propane conversion and just set it out the door, chained or cabled to the van for security and of course not forget to bring it back on-board before taking off, lest it should be like the dog on Vacation. I know it's cumbersome, but is this a common practice? I'm scratching my head here.

Thanks!