General questions about the business

schooleyking

Expert Expediter
First off I jst want to say whata great site this is !!!. I've been visiting and reading the forum for the last few months and have gleened alot of useful information from everyone. I am a 39 year old, married with kids, etc.. etc... I live in Gloucester, Mass (home of "The Perfect Storm"). I am currently a Plant Manager for a big specialized Heat Treating company here in Mass. I'm thinking of a career change and going to work for myself.
One of the things I've been investigating is the Expediting business.
I have a few initial questions that I was hoping to get some feedback on.
#1- Can a single make it in a "C" unit (I really like the new freightliner Sprinter cargo van. It's kinda a "tweener".). I'd like to just start out in a small unit an work my way up.
#2-Is there such a thing as independent freight agents. Could a guy make it on his own , in a "C" unit , using independent agents. The general feedback seems to be that you need to drive for someone else for at least a year. I'm not opposed to working for a company, I just want to eventually strike out on my own.
#3- I realize that in this business your going to be away from home alot, but have talked to guys that work nothing but the northeast corridor and do fairly well. Can a person make it in this business working a specific area, for the most part.
I've read that getting your own authority is expensive, insurance is very expensive and getting paid may be the biggest headache. Aren't there companies out there that will take care of the getting paid end of things (like a accounts payable department). And if so has anybody had any experience with them.
I just realized at the risk of dronning on I best cut this one short. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have soem more questions as time rolls on.
Again, I want to say what a pleasent and informitive site this is and I'm enjoy it very much.
THanks

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
1. how much time have you been at your present job have you time
in to retire early, as it would be great to have someother income
coming in to

i think a c unit is about the best as you don't have sleep with the
freight on a long run, also if you haul any hazmat you want a seprate
sleeper and box, as the fumes from load could do you in