Gas sprinters

Sprintit

Active Expediter
Any ideas about gas sprinter I just came around a gas sprinter 2500 . What kind of engine do they have Mercedes or dodge? , what is there mpg?.do they have high running cost like the diesel once? It has 144 base and really cheap. Advices please

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
They have Mercedes engine in them. Gas mileage is nor great, I forget the number now, and they require premium gas. I personally wouldn't bother with one.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a Mercedes powertrain, judging by what my searches are telling me. Not surprising since the only non-Mercedes item on the rest of the van is the nameplate. Five-speed transmission mated to either the diesel or the gas engine, the gas engine appears-- from my searches-- to be a V-6 engine of 3.5 displacement. Requiring premium gasoline, at the thirsty rate that engine will burn it, make it a no-go in my estimation. The only things the Sprinter has going for it are its huge capacity and the fuel economy the diesel engine gives it. After that, you have to figure out where you're going to get service, parts and how much repairs are going to cost. The gasoline engine is apt to be harder to get serviced than its more common (in Sprinters) diesel engine has been,fewer mechanics qualified to touch the finicky beast. Remember, whatever the nameplate says, it's a Mercedes Benz and you'll find that out in short order when it comes time to get parts and service.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It has 144 base and really cheap. Advices please

Used? I'm guessing otherwise it wouldn't be even cheap much less really cheap. You'd be better off with a Nissan NV2500 compared to the 144" Sprinter. The NV gives up about 500 pounds payload capacity and half a foot of cargo space but brings much lower maintenance and operating costs compared to the gasoline Sprinter. Good luck.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I see that you are trying to find excuses to buy the thing. If you really really want to buy it, go ahead, but keep in mind what you read on here. And, don't be fooled. The only Chrysler thing on the van is the badge. All else is MB, including the engine.

Sprintit

Active Expediter
No I am not looking for excuse to buy the van. That is why I ask your advice and I do take your responses in a good way but I do want to get into bottom of things. To tell you the truth I already decided not to buy it because it only take premium gas only plus your suggestion on parts, saying this but i do need to broaden my knowledge on this trucks that is why I was coming back with all the info the seller was providing me but not trying to justify buying gas sprinter

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I'm surprised that the seller doesn't know that his Sprinter has an MB power train. Doesn't seem that he owned it for very long.