Garmin 760 fuel saving option??

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wondering if anyone has used the fuel saving route option on the garmin DEZL 760. If so what did you like or dislike about it.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Wondering if anyone has used the fuel saving route option on the garmin DEZL 760. If so what did you like or dislike about it.

It is nothing more than a toy. Best mpg is around 55 mph.,so that feature is going to route you with routes with that in mind. Your better off using shorter distance or faster time and using cruise control,if you have it, to save fuel. I use fastest time.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've had good luck with the fuel saver mode in the nuvi. I gives me a good compromise between fastest route and shortest route. It's like a tame shortest route without all the back alley ways and dirt roads. I thought I read that fuel saver mode was a separate paid subscription for one of the dezl models. I don't think I would pay for it.

eb

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I've had good luck with the fuel saver mode in the nuvi. I gives me a good compromise between fastest route and shortest route. It's like a tame shortest route without all the back alley ways and dirt roads. I thought I read that fuel saver mode was a separate paid subscription for one of the dezl models. I don't think I would pay for it.

eb
Yes, it gives you an alternate route but is it really saving you fuel. I have had it route me off the Interstate because of the difference in the speed limit, then you have traffic lights, small towns, etc. To save fuel just set your cruise at an acceptable speed.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it gives you an alternate route but is it really saving you fuel. I have had it route me off the Interstate because of the difference in the speed limit, then you have traffic lights, small towns, etc. To save fuel just set your cruise at an acceptable speed.

It does take personal judgement, but I definitely save fuel when I get routing that cuts over 100 miles from a trip. My fuel consumption verifies the fuel savings. I'm in a van, so yes, I have more road options over a truck, but the fuel saver mode has found routes on four lane US highways that weren't considered by fastest route. Also interesting to see that sometimes the time for a less-fuel route is less than the fastest route route.

eb