Full Service Lease? Looking for Company

svwhite0

Active Expediter
I’m considering purchasing a cargo van/sprinter. I’ve ran through a lot of different options. One of them that seems to be interesting and viable is a full-service Mercedes Sprinter lease. There are several reasons I’ve been considering this option.
1. Reduces variable cost relating to maintenance, tires, and repairs.
2. Provides the flexibility to upgrade to a straight truck after a short time.
3. Gives me the chance to make sure expediting is really what I want to do.
4. Let’s me try a vehicle before committing to purchasing.

I have my CDL A with OTR T/T experience. My wife is working on her CDL. We have clean MVR’s and Backgrounds. We would like to team. After my wife gets her CDL we are considering a Dock High S/T.
I really wanted to team for an owner first, However, it’s been hard finding someone that will take my wife without her CDL. If anyone knows of a company that would lease us on, or an owner that allow us to team for them please let me know. Also, I would like suggestions regarding the buy/lease dilemma. This is my first post (please take it easy). I’ve read through this site. I know it’s not a cake walk. I know it’s a business first, and I know I have TONS to learn about expediting.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Penske or Ryder will do a full service lease, but due to the amount of miles you will drive it won't be cheap
Driving for an owner is probably the best idea to make sure this is what you want to do, good luck on the search!!!

svwhite0

Active Expediter
Right. Do you know of any owners willing to take us on without her having a cdl yet?

I have found a viable option with enterprise commercial. With 2500 miles per week its about $1100 month. That's for a cargo van. Similar options for sprinters would be $1300.

Even then I still have the issue of finding a company to lease on that would take her.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Plan on about 30% deadhead, so if you drive 2500 miles a week, only about 1750 of those miles will be revenue producing. If you run the math, you'll see that $1100 and $1300 is about twice what a bank payment would be, and the same math will show you out of the business in 6 months, because there will be many, many weeks where you don't get anywhere near 1750 miles.

You say your wife is working on her CDL. Just what all is she doing that you'd want or need to drive a van for weeks or months in the meantime? All she needs is a Class B for a straight truck. She can read the manual for three days, take a few practice tests online, and go take the test. Done. Rent a U-haul for the road test, or borrow someone's straight truck if you want air brakes, or add the air brakes to the CDL later. No point in complicating the simple.

svwhite0

Active Expediter
Thanks Turtle. Makes a lot of sense. I was trying to avoid the bank until I know that expediting is a good fit. Didn't want to be stuck with a sprinter and a payment that I don't need.

My wife is taking her written test on Wednesday. She's nervous but I think she'll be fine.

Again thanks for the confirmation of what I was thinking. DRIVE FOR AN OWNER FIRST!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, been there done that?

Yes Sir, I leased a day cab straight truck through Penske
$1400 base and 7.5 cents a mile(which covered all maintenance)
I only bought gas.
All fine and dandy when I was busy, but slowdowns and the economy took it's toll. If I had to do it again I would drive for an owner or look into purchasing a Sprinter.
Since it was a daycab I couldn't really use it for expediting