Fuel Surcharge

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I address this to Teacel. I read in a post where you said that it was the law that all fuel surcharges be passed on to the person that purchased the fuel(the topic started about Panther 2 and some other expedite co.).You were refering to HR2161 and S.1914,(The motor carrier fuel cost equity act of 2001). Neither of these bills were passed into law. Nor were they passed in 2003. There is no law that forces shippers to pay a fuel surcharge, or a law that passes the surcharge money onto the person that purchased the fuel. You can request a surcharge from a shipper but they don't have to pay it. I looked through the bills currently in congress, and don't see it listed in for the 2004 session of either the house or senate. It sure would be nice if it could get passed.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are 100% right about them not passing this into law. I believe I was telling the driver if a company did pay the company a fuel surcharge it is a law that the monies paid for that fuel surcharge go to the person that did in fact pay for the fuel. I read the bill and mistook it as being passed. Yes you are right! It would be a very big help to all those that have to buy fuel. Although this isn’t written in stone yet! I can’t see some owner charging and getting a fuel surcharge and not passing it along to the IC paying the fuel bill. I believe if this did happen to someone and they took the O/O to the local JP, the IC would win hands down.

Edited to add link.
I just found this link, this may put things in perspective: http://www.ooida.com/at_issue/fuel_surcharge/2161_white_pages.html