Fuel Surcharge

G

I have seen an ex-employer who, during times of fuel hikes, charged the customer that was paying the shipping
charges a fuel surcharge. Is it possible , or has this been done in a contractor based company,
where the contractor asked the company he was leased to to pay a fuel sur-charge? Has any one else noticed the
price of fuel these days? I haven't seen it mentioned here or in trucking magazines.
Also , can anyone explaine the pricing system of fuel at the truck stops. I hope I'm not the only confused O/O.
Does the price at the pump reflect any fuel taxes or does it all come when they figure your mileage taxes each month?
Thanxin advance for whatever insight you can give me.

G

Funny you should mention that topic, I was just in my terminal yesterday, and saw boxes of new rate sheets that will soon be sent to all of our customers. These rate sheets will raise the price to our customers, and of course my income will increase also. As I am based in Ontario, I get to see both sides of the border, and the gas prices are higher here than in the USA. We show the price at the pump, and it includes all taxes. In Ontario, the combined Federal and Provincial taxes amount to 37% of the price of each liter .
I think a smart O/O could have a talk with his company about a surcharge for fuel, perhaps to come in or off at a setpoint of fuel cost per gallon. If the average cost of fuel stays above the setpoint for a monthe then the surcharge would be on for a month to compensate for it. The other choice would be for the company to raise their rates to absorb the increase in costs. The people we ship for don't seem to have a problem increasing their prices to their customers do they? Jim Bunting...