Fuel Pump Problems

empty pockets

Expert Expediter
Talk to me.
Any other drivers going through fuel pumps.
I have a 2000 chevy express 1ton 5.7 with just over 300,000 miles.
I have installed my third fuel pump, first replacement lasted just less than 50,000, second replacement just around 80,000 miles. At $600.00 and up for each repair I would like to find out if I'm the only one experiencing this type of problem?

P.S. Are any of you ford drivers having repeated problems in any area of major expense?
Sincerely,

Ep:(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
At 300,000 plus miles you are doing a bit under the average life of the GM fuel pump expectancy. An average GM fuel pump will last in the range of 100K to 150K. On my 2002 GM van I replaced the first one at 140K and now have 220K on the van and am still on the second fuel pump. On my 2000 GM van I replaced the first fuel pump at 120K and now have 245K on the van and still have the second pump in it. If you are paying $600.00 for someone to change your fuel pump, that is a bit high. The average change should cost you about $500.00, and yes!!! That is still high. The average price of the pump is $300.00. If you are going to GM then I can see you paying $300.00 labor. I get my fuel pumps all GM, at $265.00, and do the work myself, about 2 hours labor. Most regular shops will charge $60 to $65 bucks an hour, and 3hours to put it in.

Are you running your van tank to empty before you fill it back up? Are you buying gasoline at the cheapy fuel stops? IE: Mr. Fuel, Kwik Fill, or those fly by night truck stops. If you are going through them under 100K miles you may want to put a fuel filter or some type of screen in your filler hose so it can help catch some of the dirt and junk going into your fuel tank.

I know a guy that cut a hole in his van floor just over the fuel pump then bolted put a plate over the hole. He can change his fuel pump in about 15 minutes, without even dropping the fuel tank. He carries a spare with him just in case!!!

I hear the Ford guys are always having ball joint problems and strange vibrations in the front end

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
My Astro which uses the same fuel pump as the big vans lost it's first pump at 157K miles. One way to make the pump last longer is to keep the fuel above 1/4 tank as the fuel is the coolant for the pump motor. Some drivers I have talked to claim 200K+ miles on the original pump doing this.

I try to keep my tank with more than 1/4 but is sure is hard when you are short on time to be somewhere. :)

--
Mike N

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
In a pinch you can start the van if it dies on the road,kick the tank alot and hard and try cranking it.I got the tip from a couple of mechanics and it worked on a friend of mines GMC we were able to get it to a garage about 10 miles away and it was still running.The guy at the garage said he did the same thing to get them into his shop,but wouldn't suggest driving any distance after the kick start.The van had aroung 140,000 on it and would consider it preventive maintaince around 150,000 miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went thru 2 fuel pumps on my Caravan before I learned to keep the tank full as TW said the fuel is the lubricant. This Dodge van is still on the original,(knock on wood)! I try to keep it full or near full as I possibly can.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I had a 1998 GMC Savana. During the 51/2 years and 640,000 I drove it I replaced four fuel pumps.
Most owners of the Chevy or the GMC vans have to replace thier fuel pumps on a 150,000 mile average.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>pellgrn,
>
>Knocking on the fuel tank? Hmm, sounds interesting - but I
>betcha it works...thanks for the tip!

This does indeed work on some vehicles. Chrysler cars especially. I watched a guy at the Dodge dealer we used to tow for beat the tank on a car with a rubber mallet and it started right up! ;) When I was in the towing business we would see that alot. Dead dodge with no fuel getting to the motor. Tow it in and the bouncing of the car on the carrier or hook and the pump cooling off would usually do the trick! As pointed out it is only a temporary fix. As I said before the fuel is the coolant for these pumps. When they get hot they swell some and either get tight which in turm makes them get hotter as well as cause heat damage and excessive wear to the pump/motor.

--
Mike N

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Re Fuel Pump: Chevy 1998 1 ton. First one went out at 147,000. Had it replaced. Important advice. If you have your fuel pump replaced by a GM dealer, this fuel pump is guaranteed for life as I understand it. I had my 2d replaced free at about 300,000. There are other parts which carry the same warranty, ask for a list, some of them include, ignition wires, condenser, water pump etc. If you have an item replaced that is under this warranty, keep a copy of the invoice in your truck so if you brake down away from home, you will have it. If you find a dealer not willing to cooperate, call GM customer service, I had to do this once and the problem was solved quite rapidly.

I carry a short piece of 2x4 to bang on it if it happens on the road. I have heard this works and have also been advised to try and not get below 1/4 of a tank, cooling theory.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The knocking thing also works sometimes with dead starter motors:D
If stranded, a good rap with a wrench many times will get you that one last crank!
-Weave-

G

Weave just took the words outa my mouth about whacking a dead starter, more than once that has saved me a tow bill. Just wanted to add one point about GM fuel pumps and that is to change the fuel filter as recommended in the book. A partially plugged filter makes those little pumps work harder and wear out faster.

dwinjr79

Expert Expediter
I was curious as to where you get your fuel pumps for 265.00? Also, your comment about someone cutting a hole in the van floor to replace the fuel pump is something I heard before. However, I am a bit confused, because I thought the fuel pump was inside the gas tank. If you get a chance to respond, please do so as my chevy express 3500 has just over 112,000 miles on it and I am getting fuel pump concerned.
Thanks,
dwinjr79:)

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Yes the fuel pump is in the tank, At the top of the tank just under the floor. Take some measurements to figure where it is located and you cut a big enough opening in the floor to get at the pump. A friend of mine just cut 3 sides of a square opening and bent the floor back. changes his pump and bends it back. for some reason the tank is high enough and he said it doesn't look like there was ever any water on top of the tank. To remove, theres a few wires you have to unplug and fuel lines then there is a round lock ring which holds the pump in. Use a brass hammer to tap the lock ring to loosen it. You don't want to make any sparks. Then the pump pulls straight up.

Work Smart not Hard,
Fr8 Shaker

jg

Expert Expediter
To expand your question a little, I ask is anyone having ANY KIND of
repetitious problems in a '03 or '04 GMG/Chevy cargo van??

trump

Expert Expediter
I wonder if there is a way that all the expediters can get together and write a letter or sign a group letter addressed to GM as an example explaining repeating problems and asking them to correct the problems in future models so drivers dont have these problems.
A perfect example would be to inform GM of the fuel pump problem and how it efects our business. It's a serious issue when you are on the road with a full van and the fuel pump goes out .do you tow the van to the delivery point . unload and then tow it to a repair facility .
I would like to hear what others think.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know if it would help. BUT you never know? At least you'd get to vent! And thats a good thing.:)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
GM redesigned their fuel pump for the 2003 and up GM and Chevy vans. I have a 2004 so I am curious as to whether or not the newer fuel pumps are also failing as did the previous models.
Does anyone on this board with a 2003 or 2004 GM van have over 150,000 miles on it that can tell the rest of us if they have ever had any problems with their fuel pumps?

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I have a 2003 GMC with just over 160,000 on it and I still have the original fuel pump. But I have a new one just in case. The new one had to be ordered and brought in from Detriot, So it might be a good Idea to get one so as not have to wait a couple of days for it to be brought in

________
SweetBambi

Last edited: