Fuel Leak

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
I have a FL 70 Freightliner with dual steel tanks. I have developed a small fuel leak in one of them at the bottom of the tank as far as I can tell. It looks like it might have been patched before. Is there a patch that can be put on while there is still fuel in the tanks. Can I do this myself or should I seek a repair station? If so should what kind of repair station should I look for? Take it to a Freightliner Dealer or who? I am in Chicago until Monday and then off to Portland OR. Any help sugestions would be helpful. Not that great of leak right now just a puddle overnight but does need to get fixed.
Thanks For All Your Help Again,
Dale

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Permatex makes a product that I got at NAPA and worked on a wet tank on my sons Toyota pick up.That was 3 years ago and no leaks yet. would probably work until you got tank properly fixed. I don't think a temporary patch would be acceptable to the DOT.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would try to get it repaired asap.Little leaks tend to become big leaks at the worst possible moment. The DOT would go after you for a haz/mat spill. If nothing else you can call the Freightliner hot line,
1-800-FTL-Help and someone could advise you and steer you to a location that could repair it. Good luck

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
JB Weld is good stuff and might stop the leak for now but as mentioned it will be a BIG (read$$$) problem if you get pulled in at the scales. I'm not sure any tank repair is ok with DOT but I'd find out and get whatever it takes done before Murphy notices.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
You do not want to drag this out. You can use a number of different types of shops. Radiator repair is normally a place that can fix it quickly. They will normally be able to drain fule etc. If it is a typical tank leak it may very weel be due to rust. Not uncommon on older tanks. A weld can develop a hole as well.

You get busted for a fuel spill and you will wish you never saw that truck. Sorry I do not know to tell you to contact in the areas you mention

Raceman
OTR O/O

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the help guys. I put a patch on it that i bought at a flying J. This is holding well and I am now in Portland OR until Monday. Staying at the Jubitz Truck Stop Hotel. I unload in the morning and then take the truck down the street for a real repair.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend with a FL70 who is going through this problem right now. He called Freightliner about a new one and they are on national backorder. If he pays up front they will order it but with no guarantee when it may arrive. They would'nt even try to cross reference to see what they could get that might work. He is retro-fitting a 150 gallon aluminum tank under the box. Oh yeah, $1100 for the flimsy Freightliner tank.