Fuel filter issue

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My truck takes the cannister filter with the clear bowl so you can see the filter. Every truck i've had the canister would fill up slowly and be about 3/4 full by about 20,000 miles. This truck fills up quite quickly it will get about 1/2 full after about 10 miles and I have 4,000 miles on it now and it filled up to the top of the glass. Mechanics say some do that and some dont. any ideas on why this is happening?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Have you checked to see if it is an algae problem?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No how do you check it? I have poured some of that algae chemical in the tanks once.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You should see it build up on the filter, it turns the filter black quickly.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah the filter was black I just changed it and treated the fuel with algae treatment I did double the recomended dose. Thanks for the info

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If it is algae and you used the treatment, you will want to keep filters with you because they will plug up the filter faster until the system is cleared. A boat supply or marine shop will have some serious stuff that they use in marine engines if it doesn't clear up the first time. You may want to have it looked at to confirm if it is algae or not and drain the water from your fuel tanks.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Got 2 spare filters with me will have it checked when I get home next week.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the filter you using have the wrong flow rate, there for it takes 'more' filter surface to allow enough fuel to, well, flow into the motor.
IF that is the case, this will effect fuel consumption.
call your EOM, try replacing the filter with an EOM once to see what happen .
also, this time of year as fuel suppliers moved to the winter mix, more crap is heading our way from the fuel supply chain. this MIGHT get better into the winter.
i had the same fuel filters system that you describe, i replaced that with the AirDog fuel system that i found at the 2010 EO Expo. worked great. i'd recommend that to anyone.