Fuel efficiency- Propane augmented fuel?

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recently ran across àn ad for a propane augmentation system for the diesel. The claim was that fuel efficiency could be increased by 30%, but then of course there were no details about how much propane that would take. I'm having trouble finding any more information about the system which only increases my skepticism. Had anyone heard of this? The more I learn about diesel engines the more fascinated I am by how flexible they can be fuel-wise. Has anyone tried saving money by using a biodiesel converter part time?
Are my questions green enough? Maybe somebody could recommend some reading material in this area.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes they work.

The savings have to be weighed against the cost of the replacement fuel. 30% less diesel at what cost of replacement fuel? If diesel is 3.00 a gallon, and propane is 3.00 per gallon equivalent, net savings is 0

They are highly reliable systems, but I don't believe they are as reliable as a diesel engine left alone as stock

A "usuable" amount of fuel could add 300 lbs to your truck. I had a system with 6 tanks of natural gas, 1800 lbs when full (propane can only be used as a single or joined tank due to fuelling realities)

Reactions: Hermes

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone tried saving money by using a biodiesel converter part time?
Used vegetable oil is no longer cost competitive now that it's being bought instead of given away free. Take away taxes, and its difficult to justify home refining

It was never an option for expediters. Taking your fuel with you for the week kills your space and weight available for freight

Here's a couple options. Note they normally assume you're getting free used oil (try it) and the energy and chemicals pricing is outdated...the automatic machine takes 48 hours to produce 40 gallons

Bio Pro 150 Automated Biodiesel Processor - Makes 40 Gallons Of Biodiesel At The Touch Of A Button! - Utah Biodiesel Supply

Biodiesel, Biodiesel Kits, Biodiesel Processors, Make Your Own Fuel, Home Biodiesel Kits, Save Money on Gas, Green Fuel, Renewable Energy, Biofuel, Biodiesel Fuel, Make Biodiesel

I would try this as a hobby only

Reactions: Hermes

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator