fuel additives

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
MXZ,
I use Power Service in all my engines year round. (Cummins, Mack, CAT and International). Its not really a winterization thing with the Cummins or Mack since they return so much fuel that the fuel tanks are always hot. But, the CAT and International dont seem to return any fuel as the fuel tanks seem to be the same as the outside temp. For this reason I use it for Gelling purposes. My main use for the additives is additional lubrication. Especially on the Cummins, the pistons in the pump need that extra lubrication. Dont know if it really helps all that much but Im sure it cant help when used in moderation so I buy a couple of pallets of it this time of year when its on sale. I have used Lucas fuel treatment before (because I use all their other products like oil stabalizer, rear axle fluid, hub oil, trans fluid, etc and I am a firm believer in their products!!!) but I dont know if the fuel treatment really helps. I did notice that the Cummins and Mack engines use just about anything with problems but the CAT and International engines dont really like the Lucas Fuel Treatment very much. To be quite honest I dont think that any of the products gave more miles per gallon or power. If anything I would have to say that everything I tried actually hurts miles per gallon AND power, but does help with neutralizing poor quality fuel.

Thats why i always used it for extra lubrication, I would prob guess in the bigger engines the increase in fuel efficiency would be less than that of a smaller vehicle. I think lucas is one of the widely used and that was actually one of worst carbon producing treatments but did have a ok amount of lubrication.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Oh yea i forgot about that type of fuel up north, how much does that run a gallon, thanks for the info too

Haven't used it in awhile, but as I recall there was not much, if any, price difference. It was all that was available at most stations, and was marked on the pump as winterized.

I'll keep an eye on it for you this winter if I'm up that way. I'm going to do my best to stay south this winter!

The Dakota Madman OVM, or billg27, who also runs a lot of northern routes, may have more current info on winterized fuel.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
During the days when I had the Sprinter, Power Service was the stuff I used in the winter. Had to, you can't always be sure the fuel you're buying around here is winter-grade fuel and I've been caught a couple of times, so-- Power Service was the stuff for anti-gelling purpose. I understand the diesel fuels are "dry" now as far as lubrication so I have a suspicion some sort of additive is needed.

These days I run gasoline in a Chevy van. My landlord swears by Marvel Mystery Oil, says it lubricates the fuel injectors and upper cylinders. Way back when I worked in a factory, I used it to lubricate air tools so I know it works for that, anyway. I don't know if it helps much in an engine, but the few tankfuls I tried didn't seem to hurt anything except the wallet. My landlord uses it in his mini-SUV and his scooter. The scooter has a high-revving (7000 at highway speed) engine so it needs all the help it can get.