Front-Mount Carrier

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I have finished my front-mount carrier on my Sprinter. What I had in mind is to carry a small generator and supplies on it.

It protrudes 31 inches from the front of the van. Does anyone think I will get a ticket or have a problem with it?

KL

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Be carefull not to restrict air flow to radiator too much.
Legal....ummmm time will tell.
I have seen motorhomes with motorcycles on the front and they didn't seem to have any grief from John Law.

Good Luck,
Dan

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
I just keep my generator in the Sprinter cargo area. Its a small 2000 watt. Never has been a problem, as far cargo space is concerned. I chain it to the back bumper when in use. Works like a champ.

God Bless America

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Does it get in the way of freight? What kind do you have? Where in the cargo area do you keep it? Does the gas smell as you travel down the road?

Mine is just wide enough to get in the way.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I hope you guys are non smokers with those gas fumes that are inevitable from this set up.Plus,I don`t know what the DOT would have to say.

I had a setup like this at one time,but gave it up for the issues I just mentioned. I bought the most secure gas can I could find ($80.)but still the fumes were scary. The Gen I bought advertised it would run 6 hrs,but I only got 2.5 out of it.(both items are in my garage if any one wants to make me an offer)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The DOT would say that's a definate no-no. As to the legality of the front platform, I've seen it done before and on vans that I know have had it for some time. So I would think it would'nt be a problem. I see a FedEx van from time to time with front and rear platforms and the roof totally covered with accessories. They are a team with two very large dogs. Their payload has got to be well under 2k.

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
I had one like that set up on the front of a Ford e-350. Ran it for 3yrs like tkat with a tool box on it. Went through scales nothing was ever said. I would recommend that yoy put guide poles on each corner.I used those fiberglass driveway markers worked fine. Never hit anything until I went in the ditch.But at least I knew where the corners of the cargo carrier was.I carried a Troybuilt 3550W generator 175lbs runs 14hrs on tank of fuel running home AC and in winter a 1500w heater. Never hot in summer,nerver cold in winter.More power for all electrical items.