FRIDGE PROBLEMS.......

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I'm looking for some help here that can save me some dollars. I have a 99 fl70 with the standard fridge. Yesterday, it quit working. Checking out the problem, I ruled out blown fuse due to the light still being on and the motor still running. It was running , it just wasnt cold. So, I'm thinking the problem is that it needs a blast of freon. Question is: Am i right? Has anyone else encountered any similar problems? If so, will the normal recharge can at WAL-MART do the trick? And also, where do i find the place to refill, or charge it? Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to spend $300-600 on a new one.

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
The same thing happened to mine. I spent 50 bucks to have it checked and it was shot. My advice is go to Lowes, Home Depot, or Wal-mart and buy a fridge that will fit in the same spot as the old one. You can get a descent fridge for under 100 bucks.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply. I thought of that but that would would run off AC and wouldnt that put too much strain on my inverter?? It is just the basic inverter that comes with most trucks that year and model.?

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WANT TO SAVE YOURSELF ALOT OF MONEY. BUY A REGULAR AC POWERED FRIDGE AT WALMART. THATS WHAT I PUT IN MY TRUCK. AND IT GETS ALOT COLDER THAN THE DC POWERED VERSION I USED TO HAVE. IF YOUR CONCERNED ABOUT TO MUCH FOR YOUR INVERTER. SIMPLE FORMULA IS: AMPS X VOLTS= WATTS IF YOU LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX IT NORMALLY WILL GIVE THE AMP DRAW. THEN JUST CONVERT THAT TO WATTS. TO SEE IF YOUR INVERTER WILL HANDLE IT. I CAN'T QUITE REMEMBER, BUT I BELIEVE MY FRIDGE ONLY DRAWS ABOUT 300 WATTS. I LEAVE MY INVERTER ON ALL THE TIME. I CAN SIT OVER NIGHT AND IT DOES NOT KILL MY BATTERIES. ONLY NEGATIVE THING I CAN SAY IS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TRUE SINE WAVE INVERTER, YOU MAY PICK UP A LITTLE INTERFERENCE IN YOUR CB. BUT ITS EASILY CURED BY CRANKING THE SQUELCH UP A BIT.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I appreciate the replies but have 1 more question.I am trying to figure out how many watts my inverter is and I seem to have misplaced the manual for the inverter and it doesnt tell you on the inverter itself. So does anyone know how many watts it is? Again, it is a 1999 FL70 with the 72" sleeper ( if that helps with anything ). Thanks again.