Freightliner Truck Brake Hoses!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
URGENT! If you have a 1998-2002 Freightliner truck, read this. If your truck has the braided steel front air brake hoses (most do) replace them with new ones immidiately. These hoses are black in color and look like they are made out of fabric. I went through a NYS DOT inspection today, and they were bagging Freightliners for leaks in these left and right. Though the ones on my Columbia were OK, I'm getting new ones anyway. Most of the trucks with faulty ones were Century Class tractors, but there were a few Business class trucks stopped too. There was a post on this a while back. These hoses develop small leaks around the fittings, (just enough for you to be put out of service) and road service was charging over $100 ea. for replacements. They are defective, but for whatever reason Freightliner has not recalled them. They are cheap to get replaced at your local shop, so don't chance it. If NYS wanted to, they could write you an expensive ticket along with the costly road service call. Incidentally they bagged me for a loose front spring coupling which put me out of service, so I had a few quality hours to learn all this dirt. It cost me $100 to have a guy come out and torque three big bolts. Luckily no ticket though.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What a bummer and on your way home too. Good thing this happened in your home state, or you just may have received that good driven award, along with the R/R.

I just heard PA bought 5 new vans for the DOT to use on the PA turn pike. Later Weave and thanks for the reply.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I read recently in Land Line that PA had established a 6 man DOT task force in the Philadelphia region just to focus on heavy trucks. They are doing rediculous things such as putting trucks out of service for missing IFTA stickers and other non safety related issues. I went through their stop at the rest area on I95 at the PA/DE border last week, and it is intimidating to say the least. They are doing more pestering than protecting or serving.
-Weave-

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
I'm glad to see that Pa is finally doing their jobs. I am sick and tired of seeing junk running up and down the highways. I keep my truck in tip top shape, so why shouldn't everyone else! If those cry babies that get put out of service dont want to work on their trucks, go be a company man.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Tim,
Your right about doing their job, but as Weave stated:They are doing rediculous things such as putting trucks out of service for missing IFTA stickers and other non safety related issues.

What if you were running and a light burned out along the way, then you came up on the MAN. He checks you out and puts you out of service for 8hrs.for the bad light.

Like Weave said, They are doing more pestering than protecting and serving. I think some of the DOT push their power around. It may be a good idea if they had some rules as to when to put someone out of service.

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
Just remember, believe it or not, sometimes truckers tend to bend the truth. Don't always believe what comes out of the idiot box.;)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave: The hoses that you mentioned. I take it these are the approximately 15" hoses that run directly to the brakes on the steers. Correct?

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I want to thank Weave for the heads up on the hose. I checked mine and they didn't seem to be leaking. Then I grabbed ahold of them and moved them a little bit, and the air came pouring out. I replaced both sides. $12 each at the freightliner garage. Thanks again. By the way I have a 99 FL70. It is the line from the frame to the break air chamber.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, they are the front hoses that go between the frame and air chamber. I guess Freightliner thought making them from braided steel would make them last longer.. looked good on paper, but in the field they aren't doing as well as the good ol' nylon ones did. Somehow the NYS DOT found out about this little blunder and (of course) wants to capitalize on it.
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Simple fact of matter Tim.. If they WANT to put you out of service, they WILL. They will find SOMETHING. On that sunny day when it happens, just smile, smile, smile!:D

The first one I talked to with the bad brake hoses was a fellow with a Century Class who was a company driver for a foodservice company. Many others followed. This stuff is not idiotic CB chanter, and it's not a whole heck of a lot of fun to deal with either. It effects company drivers as well as owner/op's. My own truck put out is a '01 Freightliner CL120, not a beater by any stretch- I was thankful the NYS DOT guy pointed out the problem, which was ligit, yet there was NO WAY anyone could spot it during a pre-trip. 1/16" of spring mount movement. It has been corrected. That was my "something." My prayers will be with you for your day, Tim... it's coming soon at a DOT inspection near you!

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
Weave,
A good driver knows what is going on above and under his truck. If you had been paying attention to your truck, you would have noticed the problem. Afterall,if the MAN could catch it, why couldn't you? I have no sympothy for guys that are put out of service. I have to abide by the laws, so should they. That's one of the problems with todays trucking. Guys still want to play cowboys and indians.

Ps- Been out here 19 years, no accidents, violations , and certainly never been put out of service.:p

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Funny you mentioned it Tim- you are right. I was on my way home, and the truck's steering felt a bit funky- not it's usual self. I couldn't see any trouble upon examination, so the plan was to go home (only 300 miles) and have the shop look at it. Even if I would have found the loose bolts, they are not something that can be tightened with hand wrenches in the field. The NYS DOT guy found the problem when I moved the wheel left to right- I can't do that by myself and see the springs during a pre-trip. I'm safe in saying I know class 7 and 8 trucks VERY well.
What I'm trying to accomplish with these posts is to point out some things to fellow drivers that DOT inspectors are concentrating on, and also warning drivers to be extra careful in NY and PA. Trials and tribulations are good things to learn from. OOIDA contacted the PA DOT to come up with a resolution that will allow drivers to correct minor problems on the spot there should they be stopped for them.
You have a record to be proud of, Tim. Mine isn't as great because I'm not a perfectionist but I'm certainly safe and road worthy, and much closer to Mr. Rogers than Rambo to my fellow truckers on the road. What kind of equipment do you run by the way, Tim?
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave: I want to say that you handled TimTurtle's postings very well.
Clearly a lot better than I would of.

TimTurtle: I notice that you are new to this web site. Welcome.
This web site has been a great source to many of us, providing useful information in both the expediting business as well as keeping our equipment running. My company has saved a lot of money over the past year as a result of this web site - especially the useful information Weave has unselfishly provided. We are able to go here and talk with other drivers without having to listen to the complaning, muck raking, ax grinding and self promoting that one is subjected to on the CB or in the truck stops. You said that you are a 19 year driver and a bunch of other stuff. Therefore, I am sure you understand what I am talking about. Also, as a 19 year professional driver you must surely be aware of the need of other drivers for useful, practical and even money saving ideas from which we can benefit from experienced professional drivers like yourself.

Weave has been doing that for us for quite a long time. Surely you have already gone back and read the last years worth of postings and have seen all the great information that he has shared with us.

So after reading the other couple of postings that you made, I hope that that ax of yours if finally ground and that you will share with us useful wisdom and experience. I can go to the CB for the other stuff.

Just my opinion.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have to agree 100% with Larry in that Weave knows his trucks and at one time or another has given all of us valuable information on truck maintenance and repair guidelines. He has helped me in knowing what questions to ask my local Freightliner service manager. When I do a pre trip inspection I look for obvious problems ,there are problem items that can and will go out on a trip or as Weave pointed out if you do not have the tools available there isn!t much you can do other then call road service. I was inspected in California at the I 8 port of entrance and the inspector said I had one loose U bracket holding the box to the frame. My tools that I carry could not budge the bolts and I had to pay a guy $75,00 for a 5 minute job.

Tim,can you tell us how many miles you have driven on the road for the past 19 years.It sounds like quite a accomplishment to go 19 years without and difficulties. Weave gives constructive advice and should not be criticized for it.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave: I am providing a copy of the e-mail I received from Tim Turtle. The context of the remarks confirms to me my assessment of the individual. Apparently this individual feels it is perfectly OK for him to insult you on this forum and then justifies his caustic remarks with unsubstantiated claims of his self importance. I find the "I've earned it" to be particularily interesting.

When it is posted on a public forum, it is everybody's business.

"Dont my opinions count Larry? OH, I see, anybody that speaks up and tells it like it is gets a bad user rating? Maybe you like to suck up to the moderator a little too much.
When you have the safety record that I have, you can say anything you want. I've earned it!
ps- that posting was between me and Weave. Not you...Mind your own business!"

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
>Cry Baby- Cry Baby. " see everyone, timturtle hurt my
>feelings" waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!
>
>GET A LIFE LARRY!

GET A LIFE TimTurtle.Some things can't be detected on a normal pre-trip.So,meanwhile,why don't you go get some blinker fluid and while you're are at it, make sure you always check the trailer brake lights when bobtail ,BEEN THERE DONE THAT WANNABE, MR.TOY Truck-driver AND LET US HELP EACH OTHER without your SMART (WANNABE) remarks.SAYONARA and HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Are you talking to me?"x(

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
Glad you drive a truck, MR. bornfree. You sure couldnt make it at being a comedian. I think you too are a winer. waaaaaaaah!

paperback1

Expert Expediter
TO TIM TURTLE, I THINK THAT PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELF THAT FEEL THE NEED TO PUT PEOPLE DOWN AND BOAST ABOUT THEIR DRIVING RECORD(I DON'T BELEVE YOURS FOR A SECOND) MUST LACK IN SELF CONFIDANCE, AND I THINK YOU MUST BE A VERY LONELY PERSON, BECAUSE WITH A PERSONALTY LIKE YOURS, I DON'T SEE YOU HAVEING MANY FREINDS. SO LIGHTEN UP, AND DON'T BE SO HARD ON OTHERS, UNLESS YOUR WILLING TO BE JUST AS HARD ON YOURSELF. AND BY THE WAY, I'LL PUT MY RECORD UP AGAINST YOURS ANY TIME.:7

newthead

Expert Expediter
TimTurtle: Do I detect a little angst? Maybe a little "I hate my father" syndrome?........Don't be a Di*k!

Drive safe
Newthead