Freightliner FL106 Series 50's

jdoug03

Seasoned Expediter
How good are these vehicles? What is a good price and what years had problems etc. Thinking of moving in with you guys and appreciate any advice you expediter veterans can pass to a rookie. Hoping to better my chances of survival out there. Also any advice on Medical Insurance would be extra nice.:)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hey Jdoug,
Cynthia and I ran aa 2000 Fl106 with the 50 series detroit, biggest piece of junk we have ever driven.
0-60 in 5 miles avg 5.5 mpg.
The problem with the 50 series is the turbo lag, the turbo is undersized for the motor hence the slowness and poor fuel economy.
Ours was coupled to a 6 speed Allison auto if memory serves and while others may like the Detroit 50 we would never buy one for ourselves.
I believe injectors are a common issue with these motors so you might do a search on all issues with the 50 series.
I hope this helps you.
Mike and Cyn

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I have a 2000 Fl106 with the series 50.It has been a great engine.Its a 320 hp hooked to a eaton 9 speed.I have no problem getting up to speed.As for MPG im getting between 9 to 11.5 it depends on how i drive it.I will agree that the motors dont make a lot of power right from idle and that maybe what some people think is turbo lag but detroits you have to wind them up a little bit.Now my cat C10 that was in my other truck made power right from idle.The difference is in the power range in my opinion.I have often thought about selling this truck buy im not sure what i would buy next.This one has a generator,84in condo sleeper and the whole 9 yards.The best thing to do is read up on them.Now remember you can do in frame rebuilds with a series 50 and try to stay away from the 3126 cat.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have a 2001 with the 106 Detroit 50 series with the Allison HD 6 speed automatic transmission and would buy another one if they still made them. Our truck does not owe us a thing. We have almost 900,000 miles on it and have had zip problems. I should point out though, we have been real diligent on oil changes etc....so maybe that has added to the life and power of the motor.

We just replaced the original turbo unit.

We get about 8.5 miles per gallon. (BUT we weigh 26,000 empty and the automatic lowers fuel milage too)

One thing I have noticed about the Detroit is that it is LOUD!

--mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--