Freightiner Layoffs in North Carolina

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Freightliner announces up to 1,180 layoffs at N.C. plant

The Associated Press
RALEIGH, N.C.

Truck manufacturer Freightliner LLC said Friday it would lay off up to 1,180 workers at its assembly plant north of Charlotte due to falling orders.

Freightliner, a unit of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the job eliminations were necessary because buyers have been hesitant to purchase trucks equipped with new and expensive technology to curb diesel exhaust emissions. New standards governing diesel emissions in the U.S. and Canada took effect Jan. 1.

The layoffs will take place April 1 at the plant in Cleveland, about an hour north of Charlotte. The plant currently has more than 4,000 workers and is the largest manufacturing employer in Rowan County. The company said the plant will scale back from three shifts to two, and the potential to rehire the laid off workers will depend in part on whether customer demand improves.

Portland, Ore.-based Freightliner, North America's leading medium- and heavy-duty truck manufacturer, said in December there would be a series of production rate adjustments at its plants during the first quarter of 2007. It said those moves could affect more than 4,000 workers.

Randy Harrell, executive director of the Salisbury-Rowan Economic Development Commission, said the plant's employment is cyclical, depending on truck supplies and demand.

"I was a little surprised by how large the layoff was," Harrell said. "I'm really sorry this happened, but it's that type of business that goes through these cycles."

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just about every large truck manufacturer is cutting back production . Fleets bought all the '06's they could to avoid paying high prices for additional emissions equipment . All diesels including pickups and SUV's now manufactured must have particulate filters . I've already heard reports of lower mpg with '07 diesl pickups . Do people buying these diesel SUV's realize diesel averages 30 cents a gallon more than gasoline ?

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, it's not that much but it doesn't matter. If you want large, then you need a diesel. In Europe, everyone sells diesels. You can get a Hyundai Sante Fe with a diesel there. Here, the only choices are Jeep Liberty or the big pickups. If I were in the market for a mid-sized SUV, I would look for a diesel in the future. Any diesel will outlast, out-perform, and have a better MPG number than a comparable gas engine.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No, not surprising, but the number of layoffs probably is. Does anyone deliver there? Who do they use for expedites? or do they use NLM?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
More durable yes,better MPG yes,but these days diesel fuel seems to be about 20-25 cents more per gallon then gasoline.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the past I have run loads into F/Liner in Cleveland NC, I was on with Fedex at the time.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Well, it's not that much but it doesn't matter. If you want
>large, then you need a diesel. In Europe, everyone sells
>diesels. You can get a Hyundai Sante Fe with a diesel there.
>Here, the only choices are Jeep Liberty or the big pickups.
>If I were in the market for a mid-sized SUV, I would look
>for a diesel in the future. Any diesel will outlast,
>out-perform, and have a better MPG number than a comparable
>gas engine.
The diesel is discontinued in the Liberty for '07 . Jeep will offer a Mercedes diesel in the Grand Cherokee . ( No , NOT the same diesel that was in the Sprinter )

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been a couple of years since I've had Freightliner freight, but at that time they used NLM.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
More to the story on this one fellas..just read today they will opening a plant in Mexico (frieght liner) dat is .to get ready for the 09"s which will be in demand for the new 2010 emmisions regs that will produce a sales surge for the 09 similar to the o6 sales surge beforet the new 07 came out .(Did that make sense?).. But guess what Oregon and Nc will not participate in that 09 surge cuz chrystler is cutting and running to mexico to get that plant set up for it..

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
Both Sterling and International in my neck of the woods have announced pretty big lay-offs, but Sterling says they expect to be back to normal later in 2007. The company I work for bought over 100 tractors in 06 with the expectation to not get any in 07, but now they realize they really do need new ones this year as well. Many companies are in that situation, and some just weren't able to get any 06's.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Cannot even be loyal to an American Company anymore, Freighliner=German+Mexico for new assembly. But wheres the Market? USA we let oursleves get screwed over and over again, whos gona continue to buy when there are no more jobs?

This is probably another case of Govt involvment, to many taxes, so go South. When will (politicians) wake up. North Carolina is the highest taxed State in the South East, 7% sales tax, 6% income tax, property tax on personal items, business tax, etc.. Highest gasoline tax in the Southeast, with all of that going into the General Fund and than they wonder why the roads are not maintained cause of budget short falls? Diesel Fuel here in Charlotte $2.49, I paid $2.12 in VA yesterday 1-31 07.

I belive all of our jobs are leaving due to the Mismanagement by our Politicians to Tax companies to the point of being unprofitable thus cutting our own throats in the process.