Freight???

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I manage a fleet of D units leased onto the big 3. I have only been doing this since 1/1/2000. Since that time all the carriers have said "It is going to pick up" but other than a week here and there it has not seem busy at all to me. Is this standard for the first 8 months or has it been a little slow in comparison to years previous? I realize non of you have an exact thermomator on the industry...just wondering your thoughts?

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This year has been a roller-coaster for the expedite industry. This seems to happen every election year. From what I've been hearing, it has affected all expediters across the board.

I think last year spoiled us a bit. Many companies didn't know the outcome of Y2k, thus shipped freight like the world was going to end. Now, we sit & waite for the wind to blow the economy in the next direction...

Who knows?!

neo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the industry has still followed it's usual trend: slow Jan.-Apr.; mediocre May-June; slow July-mid Aug. The overall run counts have been down maybe 20% since last year. Many theories why but no one can really know for sure. It probably does have a lot to do with the election coming up. People tend to get conservative if they are unsure of their future. I have also read that consumer's are buying a little less this year, causing manufacturer's to reduce production resulting in less emergency shipments to haul. For all those who hate discounted auto freight, some money is better than no money. Auto loads have been keeping a lot of people from completely going under this year. In my opinion every industry has its good and bad years. This may end up being one of those drought years. Don't worry though, there will always be a need for expedited freight haulers.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Curious?? You say you manage a fleet of D units, leased to the big three? Can u advise how amny D units you manage and who the big three are,seems to me that this position you have (management) should have some experience in this industry..There are highs and lows like anything else.Do you have team trucks??
Where are your trucks based etc??

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Curious?? You say you manage a fleet of D units, leased to the big three? Can u advise how amny D units you manage and who the big three are,seems to me that this position you have (management) should have some experience in this industry..There are highs and lows like anything else.Do you have team trucks??
Where are your trucks based etc??

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My experience prior to this year has been in Truckload. I understand there are ups and downs in the freight business. I am not necessarily complaining about the last 8 mos. I was just trying to see what others opinions were of this years run counts as apposed to previous years.
I obviously try to keep teams in all my trucks but with the driver shortage as it that doesnt always happen. Most of my contractors stay out the typical 3 to 4 weeks and then home for a few days. Homes range from WV TO MI, IL, IN, GA, NC.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-00 AT 03:14AM (EDT)[/font][p]With interest rates on the rise, spending is down, buying is down and production is down.

Also, the merger of The Super Six (JB Hunt, Covenant, MS Carriers, US Xpress, Swift and Werner), and their pursuit of the Just In Time market, has put a serious crimp in the Expedited Freight industry. The companies that "stocked up" for Y2K gave themselves some lead time, and have been able to compare rates.

Have you given any thought to getting your own authority and running the trucks, yourself? The company we run for has done just this, and they're keeping us plenty busy! If you stop to think about it, when 42% of the charges are going to your company (i'm using Fed Ex as an example), how much LESS could you charge, and yet still gross more???

In answer to your actual question, last year we were doing so well, driving for an owner, we decided to buy our own truck in June. This June, we were really wondering if we were on our way to bankrupcy court.

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wendycall did this merger actually take place?? I havn!t heard anything about it.. Take care,

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wendy

We have/are looking at getting our own authority. I disagree with you on buying and production being "down" my sense is that they are flat at worse and I do not think we have felt any negative effects from transplace.com deals or any others. I am wondering if the big LTL players are stealing a little market share from the strictly expedite businesses in conjunction with a little "over recruiting by these same companies"?

TRUCKNMAMA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Wendy

I agree FEDEX has over recruitided (I hope I spelt that right).
We have been with FEDEX from the begining and have seen the diference from Roberts. I also think shippers depended on Roberts and when they hear FEDEX they shy away. I may be wrong.
I made triple what I'm making this year. I don't give up many loads. The loads we're getting pay an average of 1.39 per mile but we're sitting for 2 days waiting for the next load and at good express centers.
Iris

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

i think you're right, Iris, about people shying away from the FedEx name. i have a friend that asked me this question: 'When you're going to send/mail something, and you want to spend the MOST money, who would you use?' Answer: FedEx. i don't believe that thought has escaped the shippers...

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I believe FedEx has a good reputation and will increase the business for the O/O in their fleet.Roberts was not cheap either but like FedEx they had a good reputation.Things are a little slower this year.I think the economy is slowing just like Greenspan wanted it to.FedEX name will bring more loads than it will lose.The Drivers and Dispatchers will keep the customer comming back.

Adaire

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Another reason Fed Ex freight shipments are down, is the increase in small expediting carriers that have popped up in the past 12-18 months. Just take a look the next time your on the road. You'll see Revere, JS, and Collins (just to name a few). They don't have many trucks, but these new carriers are getting some of the business, and they are doing much cheaper than a Fed Ex or Panther. In fact, we are starting to do more work on our own, and we are looking to eventually get away from the Fed Ex's and Panther's.

I wish everbody the best of luck.

Roadlettuce

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Another reason Fed Ex freight shipments
>are down, is the increase
>in small expediting carriers that
>have popped up in the
>past 12-18 months. Just take
>a look the next time
>your on the road.
>You'll see Revere, JS, and
>Collins (just to name a
>few). They don't have
>many trucks, but these new
>carriers are getting some of
>the business, and they are
>doing much cheaper than a
>Fed Ex or Panther.
>In fact, we are starting
>to do more work on
>our own, and we are
>looking to eventually get away
>from the Fed Ex's and
>Panther's.
>
>I wish everbody the best of
>luck.

Roadlettuce

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would like more feedback on company load boards. I've run in the expediting industry since 90, contracting to a local company and swicthed to truck load boards for commodities in 97. Fuel prices chased me back last year. Having downsized to one truck I ussually have more work than I can or would want to do, but backhauls are still diffcult unless you wait. Thinking seriously about starting to run longer again in future, about 4 days my max time out would like to come back for more than a dollar though. I run a class 8 with a 53' vented dry van. Short truckload, expedite and a large special sometimes back. profitable but very choppy.

froggybutton

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In reference to the merger of the Big 6, there was no actual merger of the companies. What in fact they did was join in forming a unified Logistics Co. At the time of the forming of the Logisitics Co. my husband and I were driving for JB Hunt and in fact did alot of JIT (Just In Time) loads, and these loads were in every instance almost always complete trailer loads and the majority of these were automotive loads. Also, what we found, and this was very evident in our runs and paychecks, were that we had less and less runs than ever before. I can't see where this could effect expediters to any serious extent (except E units), as in the loads we haul now are just three to four pallets generally and with JB we basically only hauled full trailer loads. We have only had maybe three loads in expediting that actually required the use of more than 1/3 of our 22ft. box.
We are nervous and anxious to see how slow the freight gets in the first quarter, as this will be our first slow season. So far we have done as well and alot or weeks much better than we did at JB and look forward to being able to stay where we are and eventually have our own truck or trucks out there.