Freight availability and rates

O

oscar0297

When do things start getting better for us sprinter / cargo van drivers expediting? Freight availability has been low and prices are bad

Reactions: tillettbiz

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When do things start getting better for us sprinter / cargo van drivers expediting? Freight availability has been low and prices are bad
Where's your DOT, Hazmat, radioactive and TWIC? You have a cargo heater so you can do protect-from-freeze or even a reefer?

I still read the odd message from this forum; I've given up trying to state the obvious (doing what everyone else can do will always have you competing with the lowest possible bidder)

My 2 cents.

(Edit: I answered you today because this is my first day off in 2022)

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does the carrier you are leased to have only bid board loads, or its own customers, or are you a multicarrier leased to many companies at once?

Reactions: danthewolf00

L&C3

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi everyone I’m new to this I need to find a broker to get the wheels turning any help

L&C3

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info looked up couple reputable companies in my area and found one

L&C3

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I did not I’m really new to this site and still exploring. Any suggestions here.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is best not to base a decision on who to lease to just because they are " in your area", as there can be a company or companies several states away that have a strong customer base right in your neighborhood. You never know, and it may surprise you. I learned the hard way to avoid leasing onto small companies. I'm not saying they are all bad, but there are a few out there, trust me. In 97 I was leased onto a small airfreight company in Cleveland. Only 5 trucks. There we sat one day, with no loads. Office locked up...Apparently she went to the Indians home opener that day. I prefer a larger company because staff are held accountable. There is a chain of command. They are more profit driven, and because of that, the driver can stay busier. A larger carrier will usually have a good credit starting and reputation. However, there are some horrible large carriers as well. Ask their drivers questions, but don't be too gullible as to believe everything a driver may say.. remember, there is that saying that " there is her side, his side, and than there is the truth.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
It is best not to base a decision on who to lease to just because they are " in your area", as there can be a company or companies several states away that have a strong customer base right in your neighborhood. You never know, and it may surprise you. I learned the hard way to avoid leasing onto small companies. I'm not saying they are all bad, but there are a few out there, trust me. In 97 I was leased onto a small airfreight company in Cleveland. Only 5 trucks. There we sat one day, with no loads. Office locked up...Apparently she went to the Indians home opener that day. I prefer a larger company because staff are held accountable. There is a chain of command. They are more profit driven, and because of that, the driver can stay busier. A larger carrier will usually have a good credit starting and reputation. However, there are some horrible large carriers as well. Ask their drivers questions, but don't be too gullible as to believe everything a driver may say.. remember, there is that saying that " there is her side, his side, and than there is the truth.
And never ever trust a recruiter.....ask current and former drivers.
If the recruiter will not give you drivers to talk to walk away.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
And never ever trust a recruiter.....ask current and former drivers.
If the recruiter will not give you drivers to talk to walk away.
Exactly. Their job is to put bodies in seats, to fill trucks and vans. It is saddening the quality of drivers that they find acceptable. Many should not be driving to begin with. Way too many unshowered beach bums out here.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does exist such a kind of carrier anymore? 'Cause what I've seen for the past years, were vultures only...
I'd have say yes, there are a small few of those in existence. The carrier I am leased to is one of them. Not perfect, but close.

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
There are many so called owner/operators out there who can’t do the simple math calculations and they are still going for .065 cents. And if they are wiped off. New ones are replacing them. It will take quite a time to adjust rates to inflation and fuels prices. My cost per mile today on sprinter is 0.55 cents

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There are many so called owner/operators out there who can’t do the simple math calculations and they are still going for .065 cents. And if they are wiped off. New ones are replacing them. It will take quite a time to adjust rates to inflation and fuels prices. My cost per mile today on sprinter is 0.55 cents
It use to be most sprinter cpm was $0.30 now with gas and diesel so expensive it all adds up.....

tillettbiz

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
It use to be most sprinter cpm was $0.30 now with gas and diesel so expensive it all adds up..
How do you calculate the cost per mile for a load? Just want to make sure I'm calculating correctly.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just picked up 460 miles at $1.80 usd a mile - 3 light skids

Usually I take total pay and divide by miles if I care. I keep fuel costs per mile, but I bought current van in 2016 ($2900) and the cost keeps going down per mile...

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
How do you calculate the cost per mile for a load? Just want to make sure I'm calculating correctly.
Diesel $4.50 average 18 miles on sprinter per gallon 4.50 : by 18 = 0.25 cents
Payment for van, insurance. Maintenance and repair $2500 per month X 12 =$30k ayear a average mile driven a year 100k
30.000 ; 100000 = 0.3 cents
CPM average 0.55 cents