Freight and rates, geez

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Hate going to Virginia Beach, don't see how anyone can live down there. Odd thing, they must be Monty Python fans; I pass Witchduck road, and I start running through dialogue in my head, and I hear the guy say, "She turned me into a newt! ... I got better." Next exit was Newton Rd.

So they tell me I should head back to Richmond, which they always steered me away from in the past. I spend a couple days there, and they tell me I should head for Baltimore. Unless I've got a pickup or delivery, I avoid everything between Filthadelphia and the District of Criminals like the plague. "How about Raleigh-Durham?" I counter. No, they wanted Baltimore. I'd have told them I'm going to Raleigh-Durham, anyway, but I was due to go home, and if there was a lack of freight, I didn't want them to be able to say, "See, should've listened."

So I go to Jessup, that ratty old TA, had an absolutely terrible meal with terrible service. Really gone downhill. After spending a day and night there, they say to go farther to Filthadelphia. Forgot to mention, they bid on a couple, one picking up in Richmond after I left. Got neither. She bid low, too. She told me what she bid and it was bargain basement, let me tell you, still didn't get it. Finally got one picking up in Pennsylvania going to Menomonie, lousy rate, and it took me past home, but it was the best we could do.

Freight and rates are in the toilet.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
IMHO, one might be better off working 2 , 8 hours shifts at autozone and go home at night and have a decent meal,,,think about it...no eating out, no wasting gas, tires and so on,,,imho..and sleep in your own bed...............I know,no one ever believes this...

Reactions: brokcanadian

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMHO, one might be better off working 2 , 8 hours shifts at autozone and go home at night and have a decent meal,,,think about it...no eating out, no wasting gas, tires and so on,,,imho..and sleep in your own bed...............I know,no one ever believes this...
There were time I absolutely thought that way... This is not an easy lifestyle

jcoppman

Expert Expediter
After 20+ years hard-core OTR I had to semi-retire after seeing the rates slowly disintegrate as more and more people "discovered" expediting thinking how great it would be to "get paid to see the country" or how easy they thought it'd be.

Thought turnover rates would eventually get us back to decent rates but for every person dropping out it seems there were 4 to take their place.

Miss the good Ole days when I'd pull in somewhere and would be asked about my sprinter since not many were out there.
Of course I did my part telling them I was on vacation, but as too many described the work we did and the Compensation .... the cat got out of the bag I guess!