Franklin Graham and the cultural battles.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Wells Fargo runs a huge risk of alienating customers by running these ads in the Evangelical South. The ads really are more about activism than banking. It's a poke in the eye to Christians and Wells Fargo knows it. Underestimating the will and sensibilities of Christians has a long and interesting history.

Who cares? Seriously, I wish the so called "Christians" would stop crying about being a victim, its getting old and you're not doing Jesus any favors. Quit being cry-babies and worry about keeping your own house in order.

Wells-Fargo obviously needs more customers after reading most of the opinions about them in this thread. So what does any red blooded American corporation do? Go after a segment of society and appeal to them.

The usual suspects in the soapbox cry foul because Wells-Fargo shows some stupid commercial about gay people but drone on and on about Capitalism and free enterprise. It must be taxing to be a right wing or left wing whackadoodle.

By the way, the idiots crying about this commercial just helped Wells-Fargo exponentially, well done morans.

Reactions: RLENT

witness23

Veteran Expediter
You asked, I answered. I don't know what else you want out me.

Depends on how it's framed in the reporting. The are plenty of people who don't necessarily want to prevent same sex couples from marrying (don't really agree with it, but will tolerate it), and it usually gets reported as being "in support of" same sex marriage, because the poll-takers are looking for either/or, for or against. The history of popular voting on the issue perhaps tells a more accurate story than does carefully crafted polling questions and data analysis.

In any case, even those segments of Christians who "support" same sex marriage have very different numbers when adopting kids into same sex marriage is thrown into the mix, particularly when neither of the parents is the biological parent, and that's precisely what the Wells Fargo commercial promotes as being normal and heartwarmingly wunnerful.

I just got to your post above in reading through this thread. I seriously hope you tapped out.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
I dunno. It's certainly not "friendly" towards Christians. And it's not neutral. I didn't say is was blatantly unfriendly, as if they mentioned Christians while they thumbed their noses at them, I said "sort of" unfriendly. "Sort of," of course, means to some extent; in some way or other (used to convey inexactness or vagueness, non-specific).

You lost me there. Did someone claim victimhood over the ad?

Trust me, it does, and in exactly the way I mean it.
Popular vote results regarding state constitutional amendments concerning same-sex marriage, et al.

In Ohio, for example, the popular vote to amend the Ohio Constitution (section 15.11) to make is unconstitutional for the state to recognize or perform same-sex marriages or civil unions. Approved by popular vote as a constitutional amendment in 2004 under the name of "Issue One", it received support from 61.7% of voters. That's slightly different than what the results can be, and often are, from carefully crafted polling questions heavily weighted depending on whether the issue was Very, Somewhat, Not Too, or Not At All important.

In 2012 Maryland became the first state to allow same sex marriage by popular vote. That was after losing 32 times previously in states where it was voted on by the public. The winning margin is Maryland is not at all the same as the Pew polling analysis would suggest. The winning percentage was 51.9. Maine became the second state to approve same sex marriage (excuse me, marriage equality) by popular vote margin of 52.6 percent.

In most of the general ballot voting in the link above, you'll notice a rather healthy voter turnout percentage.

Unless your average Joe or Jane American happens to be homosexuals with a well-funded and well-organized hearts-and-minds campaign to get the popular vote to go their way, then it can get more interesting.

Nope, you didn't. eesh, cringe worthy :facepalm:

Last edited: