Frankfurt Airport shooting: Two US servicemen dead

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC News March 2

Two US Air Force servicemen have died after a gunman opened fire on a bus carrying American military personnel at Frankfurt Airport, police say.

Two servicemen were also wounded. One of the dead is said to have been the driver. All four were based at RAF Lakenheath in eastern England.

A 21-year-old man from Kosovo was held after the shooting at Terminal 2.

US President Barack Obama said that he was "saddened" and "outraged" by the attack.

He said the US would "spare no effort" in investigating the shootings to "ensure that all the perpetrators are brought to justice".

"I think the American people are united in expressing our gratitude for the service of those who were lost," Mr Obama said.

"Michelle and I have their family and friends in our prayers, and we are praying for a speedy recovery for those who were injured."

The airport is near the large US military base at Ramstein, a hub for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The BBC's Stephen Evans in Berlin says that after the shooting, which took place in the middle of the afternoon, the gunman fled into the terminal building, where he was arrested by German police.

'Terrible'
Police spokesman Jurgen Linker told AFP news agency: "Everything happened on board the bus. The suspected gunman has been arrested. There are two dead and two seriously injured."

Kosovo Interior Minister Bajram Rexhepi said in an interview that German police had identified the suspect as a Kosovan citizen from the northern town of Mitrovica.

"This is a devastating and a tragic event," Mr Rexhepi said, reports the Associated Press news agency.

"We are trying to find out was this something that was organised or what was the nature of the attack."

The interior minister for the German state of Hesse, Boris Rhein, confirmed the gunman was from Kosovo.

"Whether the incident was linked to terrorism I cannot say at this stage," he told journalists.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the "terrible incident".

"I would like to say how saddened I am by this incident and I would like to assure you that the German government will do our utmost to investigate what happened," she told journalists in Berlin.

Four Islamists were convicted in March last year in Germany for plotting to bomb targets including Ramstein Air Base.

Last month the German parliament extended by one year the military mission in Afghanistan.

Germany has 4,860 troops there, despite domestic polls suggesting the mission's unpopularity.