Frame rail question (Weave? Anybody?)

Toes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Quick question about how to properly stretch a big truck. Here goes...

Preparing to stretch two large cars for expediting. Stretching the frame is no problem. (Just get on the end and pull hard, right?) Here's the question...My FL 70 frame extends all the way past the rear tires to the end of the 24 foot box. In stretching these trucks, in addition to any frame added in front of the rear axle, do the frame rails have to run the entire legenth of the box?

I say yes, my brother says no. Who's right? Do I need a welder or a torch?

I say the rear dollys have to be attached to the rear frame itself. He says not so...

Toes

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO IT RIGHT. YOU SHOULD DOUBLE THE FRAME FROM THE REAR SPRING HANGERS ON THE STEER AXLE AND RUN THE LENGTH OF THE TRUCK. IF I HAD TO DO ALL OVER I WOULD HAVE DONE MY TRUCK THAT WAY. OTHERWISE IF YOU GET ALOT OF WEIGHT IN THE FRONT OF THE BOX. YOU WILL GET SOME FRAME FLEX. THE WAY MY TRUCK IS DONE. IS THE EXISTING FRAME WAS LENGTHENED TO FIT A 22' BOX. THEN THE FRAME WAS DOUBLED ON THE INSIDE OF THE FRAME RAIL FROM THE BACK OF THE CAB THE LENGTH OF THE TRUCK. AND ADDITIONAL CROSS MEMBERS ADDED FOR THE STRETCHED LENGTH. YOU DEFINETLY NEED TO RUN THE FRAME THE FULL LENGTH OF THE BOX. OR THE BOX WOULD JUST HANG OUT OVER THE END OF THE FRAME RAILS. IF YOU DID THAT. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO ATTACH THE BODY TO. OR NOTHING TO SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF YOUR CARGO. NOR WOULD YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO BOLT YOUR LANDING GEAR UP TO. THE BODY WOULD JUST HANG OUT PAST THE FRAME RAILS. ANOTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS OVER ALL LENGTH. MOST STATES HAVE A 40' MAX. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT. FOR THAT LARGE CAR EXTENDED HOOD. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with NEVERHOME247, the rails should extend to the end of the box, and the ICC bar welded to both the truck and box frame for durability. With a long box, definitely double the frame up between the cross members as much as possible to eliminate the flex. Rear dollies mount to truck frame rails ONLY.
-Weave-