Ford Van with powerstroke engine

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Any expedite van drivers driving a E350 with the powerstroke engine? Looking for information on performance, power, milage and maintanence. Also your opinion whether you prefer gas or diesel (if you have driven both). All suggestions/opinions welcome.
Thanks
Randy:)

Bluesman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello Randy,
1995 E-350 Powerstroke, 305,000 miles, original engine and E4OD tranny w/fluid drain plug. Just rebuilt rear-end. (Needed bearings, ring and pinion gears were fine). 20-22 mpg w/3.55 gearing. I wouldn't consider anything with lower gearing, your fuel mileage will suffer. Still very little oil consumption between changes. Highly recommend the E-350 w/Powerstroke. This thing is a beast and LOVES the open highway. lol

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the reply. Have been hearing good things about this van. Doing a bit of research on it. Might go back into expediting next year and want a good van to last a long time. Did you buy yours new? If so, what kind of warrenty did it come with? Thanks again.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a '98, E-350, w/ 7.3L Powerstroke. 364,000 mi. One hell of a
van ,if you ask me! As you might suspect, I have had some problems
(I feel that is a bad choice of words), so, let's call it "wear-outs".
1 rebulit transmission, 2 water pumps, 1 injector replaced. Still gets
18-20 mpg. I've been more than pleased with it's performance, since I
bought it in 07/99, w/ 85,000 on it. Here is my latest fantasy: Get a
new E-350, take it to a van conversion place, have the roof raised by
18-24", have the doors raised to match, at a cost of 5-6,000 grand,
You would then have a "monster" B-unit that would kick the Sprinters
butt AND probably for less money. Whata 'ya think?:D :D :D

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why bother with raising the van top when you can now order the E350 with just cab and cut out back. All ready to put what ever you want on the frame. Go to double eagle or any other sleeper manufacturer and custom built it. Your version might make it top heavy but then again give the sprinter a run for its money. Thanks for the reply.

BTW: check out www.trucktrend.com for tips on diesel upgrades for the duramax, cummings and powerstroke engines. I subscribe to the mag and its great. Later:) :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yep, you guys are right. You can even get a E350 Dually, add a sleeper and small box and have a unit much more useful than a Sprinter for nearly the same cost, and if it isn't more durable it will be much cheaper to repair for the long haul for sure.
The Ford powerstroke diesel has a neat heritage. It is built by Navistar and is aka International T444E. But you knew that, didn't you?
Bet you didn't know this about it. It was DESIGNED as a joint venture between Navistar and Detroit Diesel, and was also aka DDC Series 30. How 'bout that.
I think the following still stands true-
Diesel Van- Ford E350
Gas Van- Chevy 3500
-Weave-

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Weave, didn't know about the joint venture with detroit. That engine is getting a make over and will become a 6.0. It will put out 325 hp at 3300 rpm and 550 lb-ft at 2000 rpm. The current 7.3 is 250 hp and 525 lb-ft. Ford is also making a torqshift 5 speed automatic to go with this baby. Should give gm a run for its money. Got this info from my sept/oct edition of truck trend. Now if gm would get there head out of there rear end and make a van with the duramax, then the competition would be great. I think this would lower the cost of the units.
Safe driving