Ford tranny fluid

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Just found this out.If you have a Ford deisel never put Mercon 5 into the tranny.Even though some Ford manuals and dealerships recommend it.It will cause early tranny failure.Use Mercon 3 only.Mercon 5 is for tranny's behind a gas engine and Ford didn't change it in the owners manual for deisels.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Yeh there is alot of problems with this issue.But now you can run mobil 1 syn trans fluid.The trick i guess is to stay away from dual rated trans fluid.From what they say in the diesel forums i hang out there is something in the ingrediants of it that dosent agree with these newer trans in some vehicles.I run mobil 1 in the motor and trans.I got a nice 6 position chip,4in exhaust,shift kit.It will burn the tires off for about 25 foot or so.And i get just about 20mpg

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
The only problem I have with syn. is the price.If I could extend the flushes long enough to make it profitable I would.Are you extending your flushes?Have you switched to the 6.0L cooler yet? I've been reading some pretty impressive thing about them.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I went with a tru cool trans cooler i can pull 10,000lbs plus in 80 to 90s degree weather and never see over 175 on the temp gauge most of the time its around 130 to 155 or so.I change mine out every 30,000 to 50,000 depends on what i have done in that time frame.My oil im going almost 10,000.I just had a oil analysis done and everything showed normal.I run mobil 5w40 synthetics in the motor and mobil 1 trans fluid.I also forgot i got a bts valve body in it also...The chip did it wonders in the shifting area on towing.