Ford Full Size Transit

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Received an e mail from Ford yesterday and they are stating the first Transit's are scheduled to be on Dealer's lot by late June 2014 and it will be a 2015 Van. I am wondering how much available floor space will be available. It seems as though the ProMaster Van will only give approx. 5' for a sleeper and still have about 102" for freight? Also I think I prefer the Ford V6 Turbo Boost to the Dodge V6 Penstar,any opinions out there on this? I do like what Dodge has done with the Cargo Area (seems easier to convert to cabinets etc. with the flat walls) and I think perhaps the front wheel drive will be a plus.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do like the cargo area design of the dodge and think the fwd will be a huge plus.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The V6 gas engine in the Dodge is great. The base gas (non turbo) in the Ford is a bit of a dog.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They're supposed to put the V6 Turbo Boost in it and that seems to have big success in other models i.e. F150. I know the Penstar V6 had head problems early on, hope these have been corrected.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Dodge has the most squared off door openings and walls. That is definitely a plus to me. The low floor is also a plus, at least in my opinion. I don't care so much either way on FWD/RWD. I was looking forward to the 2013 Transit. I was disillusioned by the 2014 Transit. I'm put off by the 2015 Transit. If I get in the market for a van again the Dodge will be the primary suspect.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I m just wandering if all the Transit lovers of 2013 got refunds on orders they claimed to have made at dealerships. .....or maybe Fords paying them interest on their deposit money....lol. ....yep them Transits are going to bring an end to Sprinters. .....lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I m just wandering if all the Transit lovers of 2013 got refunds on orders they claimed to have made at dealerships. .....or maybe Fords paying them interest on their deposit money....lol. ....yep them Transits are going to bring an end to Sprinters. .....lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

yeah my sprinter thats on the road is really shaking with fear....oh wait its shaking because its on the move lol just saying

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
yeah my sprinter thats on the road is really shaking with fear....oh wait its shaking because its on the move lol just saying
I was considering a Sprinter;however, it seems as though most Sprinter comments follow that if you're going with a Sprinter you're better off starting with a new one or a Ryder Used. I do like the 170" WB Sprinter but I am turned off by potential repair costs. We ran over 650,000 on our E350 with the 7.3 Diesel and apart from one transmission change,water pump and a few Alternators it was great. It still runs great but it's a 2000 so nobody will sign us on and the alternators were under extreme load. I ran with my headlights on and I had a battery bank with 2 golf cart batteries.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
i bought my sprinter new in 2012 and thus far havent any issue. when i dropped my last load off at the volvo plant in virgina i talked to gentleman from tri state that had a 05 he'd picked new and he has 478k on his with onl problem being one drive shaft back in 08 i believe. $2300 is a lot but in that length oftime besode normal matenience i think its good

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i bought my sprinter new in 2012 and thus far havent any issue. when i dropped my last load off at the volvo plant in virgina i talked to gentleman from tri state that had a 05 he'd picked new and he has 478k on his with onl problem being one drive shaft back in 08 i believe. $2300 is a lot but in that length oftime besode normal matenience i think its good
I was also wondering about Sprinter warranties. A few years ago when I checked there were only 50 Freightliner and 50 Mercedes dealer Nationwide that were authorized for warranty work. Is this still in effect and is it a little restrictive?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
i can onlyhave warranty work down at either freightliner or merc....i love onl 30 minutes away from the meredes dealership i bought mine from so i take it their when i get home time

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think there are close to 100 Mercedes dealers authorized to work on $printer but you can't afford their inflated repair costs.

The Ford V6 is easily match for the Dodge V6.

I prefer Fords but the Ram has better cargo length (143.7" versus 146" ) and overall height (110" versus 101" ).

The Dodge is terribly ugly but deserves a good hard look.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overall height doesn't matter much its the door opening that dictates what fits. Ground to roof height doesn't say much. The dodge opening at 69" is 3" less than the sprinter but wider for sure. Not sure of the ford opening.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
i realize the sprinters upkeep is more but its road performance with a heavy load or normal driving madevit a far better option to me. the new ford or ram werent out then but it blows away the econoline or express by miles imo

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Overall height doesn't matter much its the door opening that dictates what fits. Ground to roof height doesn't say much. The dodge opening at 69" is 3" less than the sprinter but wider for sure. Not sure of the ford opening.

You must not be paying for your fuel! As aerodynamics go, that extra height is at the highest air pressure point by far. It will affect fuel economy, which goes straight to the bottom line.

My XLT10 has 73" door height and we've never hauled anything over 68" high. Seriously, I'll take 1 or mores MPGs all the time over one 70" high load in a year. You can wait for that one.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Uh wrong I do pay for fuel and yes we do haul double skids that are exactly 72 inches.and in your previous post you stated the taller dodge has better overall height.

That said I'm not saying 69 is bad I was trying to convey the fact overall height does not interpret into freight height

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Uh wrong I do pay for fuel and yes we do haul double skids that are exactly 72 inches.and in your previous post you stated the taller dodge has better overall height.

That said I'm not saying 69 is bad I was trying to convey the fact overall height does not interpret into freight height

Although the RAM is 76" high inside, it is only 101" high overall, MUCH shorter overall, which is great for fuel mileage.

We've been in this for four years and we only would have missed one load between 69" and 72" high.

We've driven more than 400,000 miles and just one more MPG would have saved more than 1,000 gallons or $3,500. But we have been busy...

I'm just saying the RAM WILL make more profit than if it was 9" taller overall like the competition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
that ram is SO UGLY tho. I realize making money is the number 1 goal but I have standards and a front wheel drive fugly dodge aint gonna cut unless it is so much better than the ford or mercedes they quit making them. Just saying

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Although the RAM is 76" high inside, it is only 101" high overall, MUCH shorter overall, which is great for fuel mileage.

We've been in this for four years and we only would have missed one load between 69" and 72" high.

We've driven more than 400,000 miles and just one more MPG would have saved more than 1,000 gallons or $3,500. But we have been busy...

I'm just saying the RAM WILL make more profit than if it was 9" taller overall like the competition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

To assume lower height is a fuel saver by itself s a big assumption. So much more goes into that than height alone or sprinters would not get better mileage than standerd cargo vans. Just FYI I average several 72 in loads a year. BTW at this time I would take the dodge but not in the market for some time to come by then we will know which van looks better overall.