Fog in Indiana/Ohio Chicago

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
I had the misfortune to be on hwy 20 west bound today. It seems that Fog was trust upon us. I-80 MM 101 to Ohio was closed both ways. I almost bought the farm a few times today. People have not learn to put their lights on. I came around corners to find traffic at a stand still because of accidents on the east bound side. Between the Amish and there buggies and cars just stopped dead with no lights.. It's a wonder I didn't hit anyone. I know I just missed being in an accident on I-94 mm 49 this morning. I don't know how or why I was invovled. Only the Lord and His Angels guided my truck through and around the spinning cars and small trucks

;)
Don
Coffee Hound

trump

Expert Expediter
Watched the news tonight there was a 200 vehicle pile up on I 96 near Webberville Mi two fatalities so far. I 96 still closed as far as I know.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like the angels were riding with you. It's difficult to tell dispatch you can't drive any further, but thats exactly what you have to do. No load is worth your life. Drive safe and be profitable.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
I know they were at 5 am when that straight truck wiped out in front of. As far as Running. It's the Professional Transport Operator's choice. We have a macro on our qualcomm. It states Hwy, MM and what state. With a projected resume time, plus a small comment section.
This is a nasty weather macro. This is your out if you feel you are out of your comfort zone. One comfort zone can be different from another driver.
Don
Coffee Hound..Love my coffee..Tim Horton's here I come

>Sounds like the angels were riding with you. It's difficult
>to tell dispatch you can't drive any further, but thats
>exactly what you have to do. No load is worth your life.
>Drive safe and be profitable.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Fog ? !
I take it for granted, as I live in California's Central Valley. Here we live with what seems like 2 months or more of "Tule" fog during the winter (It's OUR "white" winter). What other parts of the country have fog (Regularly), and who has it the worst? Most people here know how to drive in it(Lights ON, slow down, be extra careful, roll windows down/radio off, etc...), as we live with it all the time.

wishing you safety, not matter the weather!

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

trump

Expert Expediter
As a driver we all have a responsibility to arrive at a pick up or delivery destination on time. But when the safety of the driver and or load is in serious jepordy we must take the appropriate action. I for one will not take risks.I have driven in bad weather and my policy is to arrive alive. When the roads are wet if you pass then your going to fast. I also think of the impact it would have on my family if something serious were to happen to me.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I left Peru , In 4 a.m. the 12th and took 24 to 69 to 30 across IN to 71 , 76 , then 80 east across OH into PA . It was rough and called for a lot of caution . The damage from ice was unbelievable . People were days without electricity .

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
My OTR employer is one of the largest in the nation. I am an extended coverage (Nights/weekends) DM, and there is NO question that my drivers' safety come before the load. If inclement weather strikes, I tell them to shut down and roll when it is safe. I make notes accordingly &then contact the Customer Service Rep to notify the customer or reschedule accordingly. I guarantee no matter how 'hot' the load is, they would rather get it late than Not get it at all.