Flat rate for tractors

aileron

Expert Expediter
I just had a chance to read the letter about the flat rate for tractors.

I understand that this rate is for all authorized miles, loaded and empty, but it sounds extremely low to me.

What do you think? Will these people be able to make it?

Do we expect to see this expanded to everybody in the fleet?

Seasoned Expediter
I didnt see that what is the rate going to be. I am thinking of putting a tractor on with them maybe.:(

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The rates look to me to be very similar to those offered by some of the national truckload carriers. The only difference being that they go up the more miles driven. If a team can get over 13000 miles or a solo over 5500 miles a month they would be doing better than at the truckload companies for the same miles. The question will be can they get the miles?
The letter is posted on the extranet.

aileron

Expert Expediter
The rates look to me to be very similar to those offered by some of the national truckload carriers. The only difference being that they go up the more miles driven. If a team can get over 13000 miles or a solo over 5500 miles a month they would be doing better than at the truckload companies for the same miles. The question will be can they get the miles?
The letter is posted on the extranet.

Exactly what I am thinking. If these new drivers will be busy, it will be ok, but if they will sit like everyone else it will be terrible. This raises another question though. Will these flat rate trucks be given preference in opportunities over the other trucks just to keep them moving?

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
If you read the first paragraph, they are saying the REASON for them to recruit and start this 'fleet' is that every weekday they miss opportunities because they 'have no nearby truck to service our customers' Then they have to 'purchase the service of outside carriers'. Read further and they say that the loads that will be offered 'scheduled a few days out'.

So if you have a couple of days to service a customer and you can't get a truck?????
So after (the company) looks at the 'missed opportunities' and this is their way to 'fix' it????? Or is it just an excuse to put on mileage trucks?
To keep mileage trucks 'happy' they need lots of miles. Does anybody believe that the missed loads are loads with lots of miles? Or if the loads they are trying to cover because 'they have no nearby trucks' the company is going to pay for a truck to deadhead to say Minot, North Dakota and haul it 100 miles?

Just food for thought.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Try paying ALL Fedex contractors, the "the outside carriers rate" when needed too--and pay the outside carriers our current B rates!! Then you wouldn't be looking for contractors- they will be available with a much needed revenue increase.re: customers charges. We sit and wait for frt., never in the A/C cooled dispatch office of $$$ outside carriers $$$

Last edited: