FL70 fuel tanks

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 1998 FL70 with (2) 100 gallon square steel fuel tanks. Here lately it seems like I'm beginning to see some rust looking particles in the bottom of my water/fuel filter.

How hard or would you get a couple of round aluminum fuel tanks the same length and replace them with those. My current tanks have the crossover that bolts on the transmission. Naturally I would get the brackets/steps and everything that goes with them.

Or just steam clean out the tanks and keep treating the exterior rust spots that show up periodically.

Thanks.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I am suprised you haven't had to replace them by now. I know of several buddies that have already had theirs replaced. Some were 2000 models. Only way to go is with aluminum. You can get exact size replacements in aluminum. I don't know where they got them, but they are not hard to swap out if they are exact replacements.

And I think my 2000 Pete has a small spot that is starting to weep fuel. Guess I am gonna be replacing it before long.

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
Bluejaybee.....I've owned the truck for a couple of years and have just about have everything fixed the way I want it. I'm now getting to these fuel tanks.

I know I can get the square ones but I was thinking a pair of round ones with similar dimensions would be cheaper and look "sort of" cool (because I never see them on these smaller Freightliner trucks).

Thanks for your input.

Deville

Not a Member
I have been sanding down the rust spots, priming & repainting the the tanks on a regular basis. I have had several leaks pop up over the past couple of years & I patch them up with a metal poxy and repaint as needed. It works very well & it some cases, one in particular was a pin hole leak & the metal apoxy has held it in check.

I may take the tanks off sand them down completely, weld & repaint them.

As far as new tanks go. Freightliner does not make a steel tank anymore. Int'l does.

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
I have thought about steam cleaning the tanks and then maybe treating with some type of rust product. I've read about some those I'm just not sure about them.

If I do keep and clean out the current tanks then how often will this have to be done. As opposed to finding some aluminum tanks and trying to retrofit (round ones) to the FL70. I'm just trying to decide which route to go (easiet, cheapest or the best).

Deville

Not a Member
I have thought about steam cleaning the tanks and then maybe treating with some type of rust product. I've read about some those I'm just not sure about them.

If I do keep and clean out the current tanks then how often will this have to be done. As opposed to finding some aluminum tanks and trying to retrofit (round ones) to the FL70. I'm just trying to decide which route to go (easiet, cheapest or the best).

No retrofit is needed. They make aluminum tanks the same shape as ur current setup. I wouldn't mess around with steaming the inside of the tanks. Drying them out would be a PIA.