First cdl job

LCharles

Expert Expediter
Thanks in advance. Question is- I will have my CDL in one month (Oct 24) after completing a 320 hour program in Florida, with 1000 miles driving experience.

I also had a college summer job picking up motorhomes in Indiana and driving them to Grand Forks, ND.

No points so far.

Advice on what part of the business is the most profitable? I am single, 46, healthy and can drive anywhere and don't have to be at home on weekends or whenever.

Our instructor is talking about expedited freight as compared to some of the recruiters who offer about 24 cents per mile to start.

My credit is great, but I think I should work for someone first, but for whom doing what?

LV

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hi, welcome to EO. Check the classifieds on this site for owners needing drivers, also you could try contacting Fed Ex Custom Critical to see if they have a list of owners leased on with them who are looking for drivers. Best of luck to you in your new venture.

Just Killin' Time!!
DD

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Be very patient! Look before you leep! Expediting can be rewarding,but I would certianly drive for a contractor before you think about buying a truck,,,,even a small truck like a van. For a single guy a cargo van is the only way to go. Sounds like your instructor has some experience with this sort of thing. Now is the time to be out there and after Christmas the load count will fall off till spring so you would be better off with a contractors truck till you get a feel for the industry and expediting in general. That instructor you are talking about is probably from Starke,Fl. and everybody knows him out here in the expediting world. I was wondering where he and his wife went. They had nice trucks. Best of luck !!!!