First 2 weeks, Part 3

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whiterabbit, I guess you couldn't see my message in part 2. I'm also a Thompson van. 30104. Would be glad to answer any questions you may have about working at TEMF. In particular, you should know about the new rotation system for dispatching trucks. You can e-mail me. [email protected]. I'm only on the internet when I'm home, so if it takes me a while to respond, thats why. I live in Alpena and generally come down to Detroit to post and go to work. But as slow as we've been I've been staying home a bit more. I haven't decided what I'm going to do today yet, but I may end up at the World Famous Detroiter later on.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
thx Highway...glad to meet ya...so much for " being in the shadows" ( eh?) :)...well so the story goes...pulled in to home friday, dispatch called "you going to stay on the board this weekend? " told em "yup havnt taken a weekend off yet".. ( soon to change tho have to spend some time with my stepson, only see him on the weekend)...sat early got a call to go to grandrapids to pick up for mon. 8am delivery to canada picked her up 2 pm sat. had to wait for two hours, got there at 12;00 place looked abbandoned xceppt for a few cars in the lot...found a phone on the fence ,guard came out and went says" wasnt expecting anything today you sure your supposed to be here?" yup i said ...he held me at the shed for an hour and he was gettin cold ,he comes to my window "someone dropped the ball" but to go ahead inside and wait by the dock but "Dont git out of your truck.under any cercumstances"..he split back inside and after waitin for an hour i decided to make myself a nuisance,to get some action; so i went inside the plant and found a guy half a sleep on a highlow, good ol guy, he was, it turned out, as within fifteen minutes i was loaded and on my way....so here i sat with a load on my van sitin in my driveway saturday night and half of sunday, wondern if i missed that good payin run to Tennessee or Georgia , welp it wasnt due in canada till 8 am mon, but by 830 pm sun i was bored as h@ll so decided to cross the boarder early ...Took the long way, veereed off on route 2 saw some parts of cananda i hadnt seen ( right pretty country )...got to my destinatio bout 2 am or so, locked up tight ...crashed in the lot, tried to sleep across the front seats but not to comfy so i climbed in back on my cushions an "bag" and pulled my comforter over my head...awoke at 630 am got up pulled on some clean socks etc. and sat up in the front... finally some cars started arrivin, at 730 some guy comes runnin out to the truck an goes " ill git ya unloaded realquick" while he was signin my paperwork ..he patted me on the back,grinin and gigglin, and said " man you got no idea how glad i was seein you here waitin mornin ".... kinda made up for the long cold night and made me realize why were here doin this kind of job ...yup wont git rich , but ! ~~~~~~ i dint have the time to sit for 10 or twelve hours waitin for a run home that might mot come for how many hours? ~~~~~ So deadheaded back home cause paperwork and such ( a empty house to clear out and distribute my folks stuff to my bro and kids that was left since well,ya know )... got a good headway started anyway the paperwork is done so here 230 pm tues taken a break sittin an prayin for a good run tonight ( U.S. maybe? ) time will tell, heck maybe ill get to see my daughter tonight ,that would be good ! Later WR ;)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
May I stick my nose in and say I love this thread! Thank you guys for posting, and thanks DieselDiva for making room! I think this thread will be very helpful to prospective expediters wanting to know how things go. I've seen 'journals' of OTR drivers before, but not many Expediters.

By the way, Whiterabbit.. you said your Webtv has problems seeing the whole string, do you have a plus or classic? I got on here with our Webtv plus unit, and had no problem seeing everything. If you have the classic, and don't wanna get a 'puter, you might check on ebay for a plus unit... you can get used for around $50 or new for $100-150. I like my 'puter, but I still keep the Webbie for general surfing, newsgroup access etc. My ISP is MSN, and with the MSN One plan, I pay for my MSN access and they give me the Webtv access free.

Dreamer

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
thx Dreamer; hey at the bridge.windsor detroit, you get scratch off tickets ive only heard of guys getting 50ct winners well lo and behold i got me a 100 dollar winner , on the run that came late tues night ,( holly mi. to whitby ) mileage was figuered in by crossing at Sarnia ...which cuts out 100 iles of pay ).to spend at the duty free store....hmmmm wonder how many hula dancer wobbly type dolls i can get ,and my christmass gifts are taken care of . im sure they got thm souvenire ashtray things ...LOL...Lost a bid from royal oak to minneapolis this am...bummer! Wouldve been the third run over 500 mile since dec...last bridge crossing we were put in a lockdown mode i was second in lne and all sorts off bells an whisles 9 sirens) strarted goin off ...but luckily was a ' false ' alarm ...nice to see the guards are doin thier jobs!...Finally getting used to the gravyard shift work as 90 % of runs come after 2 pm last came in for a 10 pm pickup to oshawa area ...welp here i am a waitin, so ive got some time to take the mrs. Out on well deserved date top a local resturant...still waitin for the seasonal pickup, this ck should be the first "good" one, im a prayin anyway...well well see what transpires this afternoon...( fingers an toes crossed ) need more long distant runs for sure tho and states as i said before the Canadian gas price are taken a huge bite of expenses...79 cts a liter that equals 3.6 of a quart...times that times 4 and you see what i mean 1...ahhh SPRING HAS SPRUNG ...Just absolutely lovin the freedom of the road! Yup not gettin rich, and not bitchin here you should know this, its just the nature of the "biz" but the good folks i work for area pleasant bunch of straight shooters for sure !

trump

Expert Expediter
Hey whitrabbit congrat's on the scratch off. That scratch off will buy a lot of bobble head dolls ( christmas gifts)like you said. I was up north last night Grayling area slicing the fog. And I got to go west today. take care

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Wabbit!! You lucky S##t!!! I've seen nuthin but50 cent'rs..Congradulations!

It's late now but just got back from a Toronto to Alabama run and that on the heels of Toronto to Fort Wayne and Mississauga to Knoxville!!! In 10 days no less! Too much for these old bones *LOL* So am sittin here and dispatch says I am the only van not dispatched in Ontario!!! Expectin a call anytime soon. They're killin me! *LOL*
The van purred all the while, got in the door the cats were purrin and so is the wife so I'd better go while the purring is goin strong one last spurt of git go yet!*LOL* nite all....

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Yeah guess someone else is lookin out for these ol bones,sounds like your going to have a great year, got some people with hustle there
! good for you...finding out that one reason its slow on this end is that because its a canadian co. im with im not winning bids for the states runs ( lost another one) is that us companys i guess are reluctant to give the bid to a canadian co. They feel that the driver may not be familiar enough with the geography of the states ! They dont know i guess that we got us drivers... im running also into the 'cabotage " thing being a us driver not being able to do the canadian pu, an del. How are your us drivers doing? ... been no. 1 for 48 hrs, dosnt look good either for the imediate future well thiers tommorrow, oh he*l it is tommorrow already ,dont get it, guess i just had a lucky week due to someone elses misfortune, to bad, thought things were going to be O.K...now that i got my home stuff caught up ill be able to wait for runs back into the states some of the time, dont know maybe im runnin into political bull or worse.... ,boy my vanster is sure lookin good can only clean her and gussy her up ,so much tho! Installed new fog lamps 55 w, pilot lamps , and "rain flaps", put a 6 in.red smoke sunscreen on the windshield , 3 more yellow clearance lights on the top rear,along with two diode style red lamps mounted in the upper corners...gotten a few compliments from the "rig boys" yup shes turned into one of the sharpest " wagons" goin, to bad it wont do any good for the bidding process, maybe ill go with a wing next,LOL ...maybe thiers an Angel out thier somewhere wholl hitch a ride...ran into some asap drivers and they said they were slow but i did some "investigative type of stuff when ,well ....,lets suffice to say guess theyre just "cryin" poor as listening to them unawhere to my presence they sure werent hurting any for runs. Im doing the third shift thing now in my personal life stuff, trained myself real good, as 90% of the runs are coming after 2 pm. Its a different world after midnight in ol suburbia nice an quiet...itll be great when i get to replace my Harley i sold to get started in this biz,always loved the long late hot summer night rides , if i dont go belly up first, things have got to get at least steady REAL soon , got nothin else to sell, some real nice military rifle stuff colletibles, man itll hurt to part with those ,theres a gun show this weekend ive found...Wonder how other US van co. drivers are doing . hmmmmmm well back to pacing, an prayin...after all it is almost march

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Dreamer forgot to answer your other question...yeah i got the old style...will upgrade soon i guess...was hopin to have gotten a laptop by now, been some great 400$ deals had to pass up on...take care bro

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wabbit.. I see American Axle is on strike there and the Detroit Free Press says they supply about 90% of the axles and gears to GM and your company does about 40% GM. I'd say GM will be slowin down to stopping real soon! And you my friend are S.O.L. Sorry to be so blunt but facts are facts.
We don't have an OFFICIAL Expedite division in the U.S. even though DX is in about 200 U.S. cities mostly courier work and dedicated stuff BUT we do cross that Grey zone at times because they'll do hand-offs with us expedite guys doin the middle part. If ya know what I mean?
I'am not expecting any long runs till the new pay period as again I am high pay for the period ending Feb 29th. about 4100$ as of to-day. We have this equalization thing going on during the slow times and since I've lucked out this period I'll prolly be dealt short locals till the 29th if they can swing it, but we're down about 5 vans due to breakdowns and health so you never know.

Wishin your luck keeps runnin...Ken and JuJu

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>Canadian gas price are taken a huge bite of expenses...79
>cts a liter that equals 3.6 of a quart...times that times 4
>and you see what i mean 1...

Hey Rabbit:
How do you pay for our expensive fuel?
(it's called tax, tax, tax, and then GST on top:-( )
I mean do you hand the kid in the booth US$ in cash?
VISA card?
What about exchange,the "yankee dollar" is still worth more than the Canadian looney.
Just wondering is all.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Hey OVM, how do you figure 200 cities in the US for DX. I counted only 21 offices here on the DX website. (I am looking to move and wanted to see where else DX is)

It's too bad DX does not have an expedite group here in the states like you fine folks up there in CA have.

PS: OVM I sent you email a couple of weeks ago. Never heard back from you.

--
Mike N

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Hi gang! As ya'll can tell by my "long-winded" hubby, you can tell who has the puter when we're home..well tee hee..he got a trip (solo little one) and I GOT the puter! It's nice to see him hanging out with such terrific people.

Hey DD hope all is well with you and yours...looks like you've been pretty busy too. I gotta tell ya...I hate having to deadhead back to the driving lanes too. But the ol man splurged down in Georgia the other day and we got to shack up in a nice hotel and get some decent sleep after a 20 hour team run. I just LOVE driving the mountains in the middle of the night. Makes me feel like Mario Andretti!

It was SO warm down there it was hard coming back to this dang snow. But I opened the windows in the office this afternoon and I've not frozen my butt yet. And I hear the faint pitter patter of snow melting from the roof. Sure is nice to be on the road in the south right now, but I hear Atlanta got 12" of snow after we left. I'll be out there most of the time now ...cuz I'm lookin for green!

later taters...drive it safe and enjoy the country side!

juju:7 :7

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
TW... I think I answered one of yours? Maybe it got lost in cyber space?

200? I read that in that fancy company newsletter they send out!
In Ontario there are three offices alone 1 in P.Q 1 in N.S. and 1 in every western capitol. About 9 in Canada alone.
Maybe TW they are counting where they have agents as well? Just to blow up the #'s?

Hey Wabbit?? Thompsons runs both Can plates and U.S plates? Maybe your losin out to the Canadian drivers. Depending on the run they can play with the value of the dollar ( exchange rate )when they pay you. And if they are getting paid in U.S dollars or Can dollars from different customers like playing a #'s game with you on the losing end.

If a U.S customer calls for a P/U in Canada and paying in U.S dollars I'd think they'd give it to a Canadian driver before you, as the company would make more considering the dif in currency. And visa versa If a Can co. called for a U.S. P/U and was paying in Canadian dollars am sure if there was a Can. driver near there he'd get it before you as they wouldn't want to pay you the U.S wages.
There musta been a shorter way to say that!!!!*LOL*

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
roberto..ive figured it out like this my freind...ok 3.78 litres to a gallon...at 79.9 a litre, a gallon costs approximately ( all figures are approximations )...hmmmmm 3.10 canadian ,more or less a few pennies ... now 74 cts canadian to a us buck so paying in U.S. equals 2 dollars an.30 cts a gallon minus whatever hmmm .22 of a gallon ( gal. to litre )...so 2.35 U.S. a gallon = PAIN :) ..i think its more than 79.9 a litre, now ...but once again im probabally wrong Add whatever disclaimer that would be suitable....my lady saw the price and she just FREAKED ! so i always try to fill up on the US side and go as long as possible when refuelng on my return runs...hmmmmmmmm a 100 gal tank sounds good to me right about now , boy ill get this expeditin thing figured out soon...im hoping that the hos rules will get more action slid over to the van or b unit side of things as we can put more miles under our belt safely also , i might add , as vans especially the cushy little GMC i got has a really low fatigue value.........Ive heard thru the grapevine that if i had a d unit, id be runnin my fanny off with whom im with ...a d sounds good but linited to 550 miles a day..welp we shall see, i got to do a whole new set of facts an figures Not tonight tho my brain seems to have gone on a walkabout ,if any of you see it,grab that slimy thing an put it on ice for me and personally email me so i might retrieve it ,ill treat ya to a coffee ! ok? Seriously im afraid something will have to change bt im not getting out of the expediting buisness, way to fond of it ,dang was hopin id found a home...any suggestions personally email, me ( HELP )

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
yeah; juju or ovm, they got a southfield p.o. box an i am a full us outfit plates an permits & all ...i was told id be gettin 70 cts to 85 cts average,no fault to them they quoted me in canadian "dollars" ,just not there problem ya know...( once again ill say that theyve treated me REALLY well,and would reccomend them to any canadian driver on just that " principle" alone ) to bad reality is as it is and need those long US runs...maybe things will pick up...any ideas please email me personally... anyone...lost the cols ph #[email protected] :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wabbit.. If you top off at the duty-free @ Ambassador and then top-off at the flying J in London currently around .71/litre. Its only 500 Kms round trip to Oshawa! if need be drop in 5 bucks at the J or make it back to Detroit whatever the size of your tank. I always try to use U.S. gas. Funny thing alot of U.S. gas is refined here in Sarnia..damn...we're taxed to death on the gas.
My next van is going to have to be diesel the new ones are gettin about 26M /G's I am gettin around 13-15M/G's thats double! am spending about 2500/ month I cound half that and the savings would buy the truck! almost
Theres a trip on the board for New Brunswick another 900M plus trip just waiting for the call...crossing my fingers..

UPDATE! Got it!! 11am P/U we are off! later taters