FINDING DRIVERS

DJONES3788

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I HAVE ONLY BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS FOR 6 MONTHS AND I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN, AND REALLY NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING WITH THE EXPEDITED BUSINESS IS THE SAME AS OTHER BUSINESS I HAVE BEEN IN,FINDING GOOD PEOPLE. AS WE ALL KNOW WE ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS OUR PEOPLE. I PRESENTLY OWN THREE TRUCKS, LEASED TO TWO MAJOR COMPANYS. I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS EVERYONE HAS WITH THE TWO CARRIERS THAT WE ALL HAVE HAD BUT I QUICKLY LEARNED THAT ROLLING WITH THE FLOW SOLVED THE MOST OF THOSE PROBLEMS. BUT AS TO TEAMS FOR THE TRUCKS, I HAVE TRIED THE 60/40 SPLIT DEAL AND THE45 CENT PER MILE DEAL WITH VERY LITTLE LUCK WITH EITHER ONE. FOR SURE I CAN'T MAKE ANY MONEY PAYING WHAT ONE TEAM WAS LOOKING FOR A FEW WEEKS BACK. THEY WANTED A 75/25 SPLIT WITH ME PAYING FOR ALL THE FUEL TOLLS ETC. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD GET RICH IN THIS BUSINES, BUT I DID HOPE TO MAKE A LIVING. ANY HELP OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE, DON

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sell your trucks. That is what I'm trying to do. Trouble is, there are so many trucks for sale now that you couldn't give one away. I tride for months to find a co driver. no luck. Now I'm ready to try another business.

TRUCKNMAMA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm really sorry to hear this doe.mouse,we were having a hard time as I'm sure others were, Thank God things are getting a little better,not much but a little better.
DJONES3788, maybe if you post asking for good drivers,what you'll pay, and truck has you might get drivers out there. I've met drivers out there that get 50% and pay fuel and tolls. They may want to better themselves. Good Luck
Iris

billy wolfe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Im in same trouble your in i have had two drivers in one month.niether one even run a load they tell you they want to work then they want even go in service. i have lost money since i have been in this buisness.i dont know what advice to give you. i going to take every thing off my truck and send it to the company. good luck

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sub lease the trucks. This will at least pay for the truck and the drivers get the O/O benefit. Just charge a little more to cover expenses. Sublease a year at a time. Better than loosing the trucks to the bank and screwing up your credit.
Good luck.
Randy

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
SUB-LEASE IS THE BEST WAY TO GO! I AGREE 100% IT WILL AT LEAST KEEP YOUR CREDIT IN GOOD ORDER. YOU DON'T TURN A PROFIT BUT IT COVERS THE EXPENSES. JUST ENSURE YOU SPELL OUT CLEARLY IN THE SUB-LEASE WHAT THE OTHER PARTY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR. ITS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING FOR SMALL PERCENTAGES. THEY MAKE OUT JUST LIKE A OWNER OPERATOR. HAVE A TRUCK NOW THAT JUST CAME OFF OF SUB-LEASE. LOOKING FOR DRIVER NOW. ANYONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS ANYONE LOOKING TO SUB-LEASE. E-MAIL [email protected]

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My husband and I are drivers for a wonderful contractor out of the Nashville,Tn area.We meet alot of drivers who complain about the contractor they are driving for but months down the road they are still with them,so I assume that things weren't quite as bad as they painted them in the beginning.
We don't take advantage of our contractor and we make sure that we stay in service as much as we can...after all thats why we are out there..to make money.
We have been offered more money from other contractors,but being happy with who you work for and having a chance to make decisions and not being questioned on every detail..wouldn't leave her for any other contractor out there.We know she is there if we need her and she knows we are out here to run the truck and care for it as if we owned it...means alot to us..