find out info

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering how many of you in straight trucks go to state parks, or regular parks to use the trails for walking or biking or anything like that? If any of you do, do you call ahead to see if they will allow you to go there and where you would park and stuff? Do you think they would only let you if you have shore power or a generator? We don't have one yet, owner says we will be getting one. I was just curious about going to places like these. Seems like it would be fun to take a weekend off at one or something.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hi Butterfly610 I never thought of that before going to state parks or regular parks but It sounds like It would be fun.I use to go to camp grounds In different places like In the mountains and the next time at the beach.I'm sure the parks will let you park and use there services and trails and sights...Maybe some else will chime In on this like Phil...

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have never been denied access to campgrounds where motor homes are allowed. I always call ahead to reserve space for a 33 Ft coach.

Great way to spend boring L/O time. You may want to enquire about 24 hr in and out access. Ran into one place in IL where a steel cable was stretched across the road out, during the early morning hours.

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Man, that would really suck (for them) when that campground had to replace that steel cable..... Campgrounds are great, but calling ahead is a REALLY good idea. KOA has a pretty good web site where you can get phone #'s and even see what type and how many space they have. Beats a truck stop or wally world any day. Plus you get to hang with the grey hairs and grill out. Really nice folk at a campground.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, staying at state parks is possible. I don't know the rules at all of them but we have never had trouble getting in. We are not the only ones that do this. Lots of expediters have truck-camping stories to share.

We prefer the more developed RV parks (KOA, Good Sam) for their showers and laundry. While more primitive, the state parks are a lot more fun if the woods and trails are what you want. We have parked the truck on California state beaches too and spent days there (not overnight).

The attached photos are from a state forest we stayed at near Los Angeles while waiting for freight over a three day weekend. There was no power or water hookups there and quiet time rules kept us from running the generator during certain hours.

Note that unless it is an Onan, the generators commonly found on expediter trucks would be very loud compared to what other park users would be used to. You might get some complaints, even when run during generator-OK hours.

The Freightliner picturs are from our days driving fleet owner trucks. We once had a delivery nine miles deep into a national forest in Oregon. It was a water pump going to a gold mine deeper into the woods than the truck could go. Once the front-end loader picked up the crate and disappered into the hills, we saw no reason to leave. The crew suggested we spend the night and said water from the nearby mountain stream was pure enough to drink.

That was great. Turn the key off and we were camping. The next morning we commuted from the sleeper to the cab, turned the key on, and we were working.:)

Attachments

• ca_park01.jpg
    ca_park01.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
  • ca_park02.jpg
    ca_park02.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • or_forest01.jpg
    or_forest01.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 17
  • or_forest02.jpg
    or_forest02.jpg