Fern Bennett

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone out there used the Fern Bennett agency to get your OK tags?
I tried calling, but the number is no longer a working one.
I wonder did the recent court case put her out of business?
What are you people with OK tags going to do now. I also am plated in OK and am searching for another cost effective alternative and would like to hear your comments.
Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I tried to call her also at 1-405-525-0470,received a message that this number is not in service.Then I tried Okalhoma City information,they gave me the same number, so if it!s been disconnected it must have been recently. I have her fax number and will try that also.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The fax number also shows disconnected,so I put the fax in an envelope and mailed it to the address I have. Hope she stays in business,I thought the court case only applied to fleets and not the individual owner operator.This could cause serious headaches for all of us later this year.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, she's still in business, I just transferred my old plate to my new truck through her. New P.N. is 405-376-4029. The old number gives this message now too.
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I do not get tags from Oklahoma and may be mistaken about this, but I recall recently reading that the Fed's have cracked down on Oklahoma's liberal licensing program. Oklahoma said that they would not comply with the changes and the Fed's then cut off funds related to transportation?? Oklahoma then decided to comply and tighten the requirements for tags. If I am wrong, I apologize for the misinformation.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
yes larry you are right. they did change the ruling. But I believe it hasnt taken effect yes. I also think there was a court challnege, that part I am not 100% on.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
From what I have gathered, the new rulings when and if they take effect, will make it more difficult to obtain a new OK tag, but should not effect those who already have one. My tag transfer went through immidiately without a hitch 5 weeks ago.
-Weave-

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I talked to another company in OK that does the same thing as the Bennett agency (Pro Cert) and they said that private owners that DO NOT have a US DOT number or an ICC number and are leased to a ICC motor carrier, can plate their truck in OK.
Hope it continues,its a real money saver for me. Living in Indiana,I would have to pay a higher price for the plate and in addition, pay a personal property tax on the truck also. Plus since the truck has never been plated in Indiana, they would ding me for sales tax also.

Don't ya just love it. They need money so they just start taxing everything they can think of and you don't have a choice but pay it.

I have a 1993 motorhome and pay $1,500 personal property tax on it,but I pay only $800 real estate tax on my home and an acre of ground! I called the assesors office to express my views on their tax system and was told by the politicaly elected asessor ($100k salary) that if I didn't like the tax system here, I should move to another state.

Maybe I'll consider his advice.

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
This has been an ongoing story for some time,
with the IRP issues really heating up towards
the end of last year.

I started researching an article about that
time and put together a lengthy story, but
every time I was ready to post it on the site,
a new ruling would come out. I couldn't keep
up!

For some plain talk background on the IRP situation,
Road Law had an article published back in April that's
an interesting read. There have been changes and
new court rulings since then, but it does give
a capsule view of what was happening.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/2002/April/Road_Issues891.html

Jeff

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would anyone stay with Fern in the first place? Can you say "incompetent"? I know a guy who was audited by OK. The first thing they wanted to know about was his Florida miles. Ther were no Florida miles. I could go on and on with stories. Mine is not the worst, but certainly an example of their lack of ability to do something simple. I live in Michigan and was able to transfer title with no tax hit.

G

Michigan is just like Oklahoma, if you use the truck interstate, have an IRP plate, no sales tax. I didn't know that until our salesman clued me in. First plate meant a trip to Lansing, but renewals are by mail in a couple days and no agent fees.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i was told when i got my truck not to use fern bennet so i went with oklahoma irp instead..they have bent over backwards to help me as a newbie in this business.....i just had to simply mail my check for my renewal this month and they handle the rest.....the new rule does not apply to those of us who are leased to a carrier...fyi..thanks...frank

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
FYI,

If you are leased to an Ohio based carrier, you do not have to pay sales tax on your truck. The unit has to be plated in OH.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com