Feeling a little stupid about CA speed limit......

are12

Expert Expediter
How many of you know that if you drive a straight truck that you can do the same speed limits as the 4 wheelers???
I must admit, we feel pretty silly since we have been to CA on numerous occasions and never knew this until last week when we crossed over from Oregon and saw the sign. My husband even had me stop at the 1st weight station to double check with DOT that we read the sign right and they said yes, that they are only worried about the trucks with 3 axles or more and autos hauling trailers.
So, what a kick in the a** that was since all the other times we have been in CA, we always thought our speed limit was 55.
Now we can run CA without all the stress of watching for bears!!!

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
RE: Feeling a little stupid about CA speed limit..

WE WERE INFORMED THIS BY AN 18WHEEL DRIVER. I CALLED CA DOT TO VERIFY AND THEY SAID IT WAS CORRECT.

NOW, WHEN I CALLED IL AND OH DOT...HAHAHA IT DON'T WORK THERE...WE ARE CONSIDERED A "BIG" TRUCK!!:p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

We have also just this out so dont feel to lonely about doing 55 in California. Pretty frightening to look in the mirrors and think you have time to pull out to pass and a car comes zooming by you at 80 mph. How safe is that?

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter

We talked to a CHP officer by phone to ask this and he said yes it's for 3 or more axles and autos pulling things. BUT he also said when going down the mountain grades we still have to do the posted truck speed limits downhills! Just a FYI