FEDXCC is last call on FED EX Freight!

TallCoolOne

Expert Expediter
I drove expedite for a number of years. And now work for one of the larger expedite cariers in the country. And last week a received a phone call to dispatch a load for Fed Ex Logistics. At the time I really did'nt think much about it, and I took the load and had it delivered in a timely fashion. The other night I took another phone call from Fed Ex again, asking me to cover one of their expedite loads. This time I was a little more awake, and a little more personable. And with a few minutes of BS between their dispatcher and myself, I had the courage to ask a few questions. But the question and answer that interested me the most, was the one that I never expected to hear. I don't know how truthfull or honest the answer was, but it did'nt sound like a rehearsed answer, or like she had to put a lot of thought into it. Any way - the dispatcher had said that I had done a wonderfull job covering her other load, and said that she was going to give me another load if I could cover it. She said that she had called about 10 other expedite companies before she called me to cover the load in question. And at that time I asked, did'nt FEDXCC have a truck in the area. Her reply was, word 4 word - Well I havent called them yet, they were going to be my last call, their rates are too high and we use them as a last resort! - I will always be an expedite driver at heart, and FEDXCC drivers take it for what it's worth, belive me or don't, just FYI - thought you'd like to know! Haul IT Like You Stole It!:-(

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What that fellow said is 100% true, I've done it a number of times in the past year. I just didn't want to be the first to say anything about it. His last sentence is my philosophy too. Rate? Let's just say "not discounted any."
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About 2 months ago I was at the Petro in Beaumont Texas and I parked next to a D Reefer unit that had door signs saying"Fedex Logstics, Hudson Ohio". I queried FDX CC Dispatch about it thinking it may have been the old Medi Quip Division of Roberts.Those trucks hauled mainly pharmaceuticals to hospitals. Dispatch said no.it was a separate FDX Company. Seems to me they would want to keep the revenue in the FDX Corporate Coffers,rather then give it to a competitor company. I really am beginning to wonder where FDX CC will be in 2-3 years.This sort of information is very discouraging to say the least.

lighting

Expert Expediter
if this is and i belive it,why are they recruiting trucks are they seeing how many they can break or what

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I worked with Con-Way Now, each of their divisions worked together with one another, in an integrated fashion.
All the FedEx divisions are separate corporations within themselves with little ties to one another other than the name. That's why some of the divisions job stuff out to expedite contractors other than FedExCC.
-Weave-(On bad microeconomics 101)
Wow, almost forgot- Why does FedEx keep all the divisions separate? Simple- so they are not looked on as a transportation monopoly. You can best bet your bippy that there is some weenie at the top of the ladder, just like at Worldcom, who has a house with 40 bathrooms who still laughs so hard he wets his pants.
-Weave- (on macro-economics)

LrBcom

Expert Expediter
Yep, Weave is correct! I contracted with Worldcom for several years and this Fedex thing is exactly the same situation. Worldcom was created by mergers and acquisitions with many companies and the end result was it never became one company. Each individual company that was picked up continued to consider Worldcom the enemy and a competitor. There was constant bickering between divisions and ultimately disaster. Oh, and the bozo at the top is now in the news under indictment and that is certainly something to see! Hope these expediting companies aren't headed the same way.
Les

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know what was said about FEDXCC is true, because of a conversation I had with a manager with Emery Worldwide. Emery Expedite, Con-Way now, & Emery Worldwide are subsidiaries of CNF, the parent corporation. At the end of their fiscal year, CNF allots their monies to the subsidiaries on profitability from the previous years revenues generated by each one. Therefore, Emery Worldwide is reluctant to give Emery Expedite or Con-Way Now, their expedited loads, because it generates revenue for the other members, trying to get a bigger piece of the same pie. Sounds like FEDXCC is doing the same. It gives a new meaning to " dog eat dog".

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Fed Ex Logistics, as Weave implied, operates as a separate company. They primarily handle loads for the big 3 and have primary operating agreements with given expedite co's. One major expeditor for instance has Ford's inter-state powertrain contract with them: if they can't handle a load, Fed Ex may then call someone else. It is discounted freight, in my case, about $.40 less than my std. rate. In the past, I used to get a fair amount of GM freight through them. The above Ford powertrain work is totally separate from NLM brokered runs. Haven't we all had our share of cheaper freight in this business over the last two years?

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've hauled several loads for FedEx Express and FedEx Logistics (I am a FedEx CC contractor). I've never noticed any reluctance on their part to use us.

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
i was an FCC contractor, and switched to tristate. still haul the same number of fedex loads, plus got some extras. :)

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

evilspirit

Expert Expediter
I picked up a FED-EX load at their distribution center last week, I ask how I got the load when they had a CC truck at the same truckstop. No one seemed to know, only that it happened a lot. Sometimes at customer request. I was well satisfied with the rate, actually it was best paying load I'd had in several weeks.}> }> :D :7

TallCoolOne

Expert Expediter
Bearcat - you had asked how much - I charged FEDX Logistics $2.20 per Mile / plus .02 per mile fuel surecharge, and even charged them for standard miles - not PC Miler shortest or even the household goods mileage programs,Haul IT Like You Stole It!}>

lexus6

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, FedEx Freight Hudson is a company who's trucks take the loads that you refuse. Someone has to haul the freight! They used to be Caliber Logistics at one time. So you should be THANKFUL they are out there, it means one less refusal for you.

TallCoolOne

Expert Expediter
2 weeks ago, this particular load in question - and I'm still taking calls for more loads! Haul IT Like You Stole It!}>

Hammer

Expert Expediter
I CALLED FED EX LOG. AND TOLD THEM THAT I HAVE MY OWN AUTHORITY AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO CALL "COMPETITORS" WELL THEN CALL US TOO! I WAS TOLD "ALL LOADS ARE OFFERED TO FEDEXCC"!! BULLSH*#!
I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HUSTLE FRT. BUT ITS ALWAYS A NO HUSTLE COMPANY! I KNOW WHEN I WALK AWAY THE "RULES" WILL CHANGE!IF THEY SPENT MONEY ON LOADING LOGISTICS FRT. ON FDXCC INSTEAD OF PAYING CO. TO OBSERVE TRUCKS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD >THIS WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT MOVE!!WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL INCOME TO SURVIVE/THEY ARE A MULTI-BILLION $ CORP..GO FIGURE:+