Fedx CC Observaions on Driving

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thought I would pass this on to all FDX CC drivers is that FDX Safety Department uses a company called Safety Service from Wellington Ohio to follow and write a written report as too how a FDX CC vehicle is being driven plus the condition of the vehicele. I have been checked twice by the same person. The report apparently is written by a female. Both times I was observed on I 65 N,on 08-17-99 it was in Franklin KY and on 06-04-02 it was slightly above Nashville so this portion of the highway must be where this person observes. I don!t know if they simply wait and follow a FDX CC truck or if they are told a truck is coming by. Both times I passed ok but it leaves me slightly miffed that they would do that.I have had no preventable accidents,no moving violations or can think of any other reason to be checked. it seems to me that this is pushing the envelope as too wheter a driver is a independent contractor or an employee. So watch out on I 65 from Nashville to Bowling Green KY,also both checks were done in the Afternoon..

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Rich,
I was just wondering how many other companies are doing this same thing.
Just another cost the company is spending that could be going to the drivers.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are services out there that companies can use to spot check trucks contracted to them. Been going on for years. Nothing to worry about, if your not doing anything unsafe, and living up to your contract. Safety and quality control.

marmon01

Expert Expediter
Typically, these safety services will have contracts with several major trucking companies. Generally, the reports they generate are positive and accurate. With insuance costs so high, believe we may see more of this in the future.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My question is; Are the reports a necessity, and if so for whom? Why? and what do they do?

marmon01

Expert Expediter
I believe the trucking companies that use these spotter services get a small reduction in their insurance costs. Also, the reports would be good to show that the company is taking steps "above and beyond" the minimum required in a safety audit. A lot of your chemical tank cariers use these spotter services.

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
i was observed, too. just got the letter. franklin, ky...... see a pattern developing here?

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's just the FedEx big brother watching everybody. Now, how would FedEx CC management feel if the contractors there hired an independent agency to go into their offices and make sure they are doing their jobs right? (I know, they wouldn't get past Mickey and Goofy at the security desk.)
I keep a small diary with me when funny things happen- here is some FedEx CC stuff from May 2000, before I left them. I pulled it out and laughed at it today. If you are not having fun at FedEx CC, try these handy things:

Sitting in Detroit for 20 Hrs. Fri. Afternoon. Beep- load Detroit to Tecumseh, ON. 10 big miles. Refused. Hour later Beep- load Detroit to Lima, OH. Refused. Beep- placed out of service for refusals. OK, going to head home to Buffalo for weekend, screw you guys. Beep- (in Sandusky, OH area on I90 about 1.5 hrs. later) Have load from Cleveland to Edison, NJ we really need you to cover. Can you do it? Sure, but I thought I was out of service. I hope you don't get upset I'm breaking the rules.

Sitting in Allentown, PA. Beep- load Allentown to NY, NY. Refused.
10 min. later Beep- load Allentown to NY, NY (same load). Better not try to put me out of service for refusing the same load twice. Refused. Cell phone rings. We REALLY need you to cover this one. What will it take? I told them 100 extra bucks plus DH miles home and first out of Buffalo, thinking they would never go for it. They did. Almost made NYC worth the while. Couldn't wipe that smile off my face.
-Weave-

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I too was recently observed north of Nashville on 65 in the afternoon by a female. Only I didn't get a good review. According to the report, I followed another truck at a distance of 50' for five miles. That would be nuts! At 50' off a truck's bumper you are driving "blind" with little chance to see or react to anything that might happen. While I will admit I might have closed briefly to within 50' (because I must have done something wrong), there is no way I would do that for five miles! I was shocked and disappointed to get the letter. I am proud of my clean driving record and I always try to drive as if I am being "observed".
A friend of mine recieved a stern letter from FedEx CC after he had been observed traveling at 62 mph in Ohio. He removed his truck numbers.
Be warned - your "review" might not be fair or accurate.
Rich, I appreciate the heads up on the location, I'll be sure to warn my friends.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
We have had 2 reviews. One was a good one in Gary, IN (and we got a lil gold loving cup...lol) and the other in Findlay, OH was awful. they said Mike was tailgating and doing 65 mph in OH. (No way he would do that. he is too conciencious to safety.)

Probably some guy sitting in a coffee shop somewhere trying to bed the waitress instead of doing his job. Then he will drive through a truckstop and get some truck numbers and pencil out a report. Would be easy to do....In fact, where do I put in an application...lol

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
hi rich, just to let you know that i too have been observed by that company out of wellinton, ohio. i have received 3 reports 2 good and 1 bad (speeding)all while travelling on I-71 in ohio, and all by the same female observer. oh well at least on the bad report my truck was clean, that ought to count for something.