FedEx Truck, Bus Crash

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There was a horrific crash on I-5 near Orland, Ca.
A FedEx Truck crossed the median and hit a tour bus with High School Seniors on a college scouting trip.
Reports are 9 dead, 50 injured.

Initial reports are the truck may have been avoiding a Nissan Altima that was also involved in the crash.

The pic looks like FedEx Ground. Reports say both drivers were among those who died.

Many families need your prayers.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Just saw news video of this. Absolutely Horrific for all involved. Regardless of carrier This tragedy puts all of us under the microscope again. It's a **** dangerous profession, we should all do everything we can do to be safe at all times. Horrible.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedEX ground are the worst, rudest and most unsafe drivers i have seen on the road.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FedEx Ground are for the most part contract drivers that work for companies that contract with FedEx. Freight drivers are FedEx employees

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
FedEX ground are the worst, rudest and most unsafe drivers i have seen on the road.

They do have some. They really shouldn't have.
Most runs are scheduled. There's enough money to pay a decent rate.

There's just so many of them.
If Bob's Produce did something rude in Jan and Frank's Furniture did something in Feb it would long since been forgotten.
The large FedEx logo is easy to remember and sticks in your mind.

I know FedEx Ground has fairly high standards.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Big Al, that might be true, but FedEx leases the trucks from the owners and FedEx like all other companies that hire O/O's approve all drivers that are in the trucks and can tell the owners of the trucks that drivers aren't qualified to drive for FedEx.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Let's not assume the driver was at fault.
The Nissan Altima is mentioned as the cause in most early reports.

There is a whole different dynamic when you run a set run.
If you know you go out at 8 pm you try to do things on days because you can squeeze it in between shifts.

The accident was late afternoon so possibly a local driver working M-F days.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
FedEx Freight is big Union type money.
I know of a recent case where they dismissed a 20 year driver who was shaving time off his 30 minute break.
He refused to take the full break. After a few warnings they terminated him.

How do you tell your wife you lost a nice $80,000 a year job because you refused taking 30 min breaks.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Just saw a picture from early on.
It was FedEx freight.

This was very bad.

ute2yju6.jpg

u3ypugyg.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There were two FedEx drivers killed sounds like FedEx ground.

Now I hope the drivers QC doesn't show speeding, I know no one here wants to here this but California has a 55 mph for trucks, if his QC shows 60 or more at the te of the accident then FedEx will be in a world of hurt from lawsuits. The lawyers will claim the accident wouldn't have happened if the driver was doing the speed limit. Because he wouldn't have been there.

I will never say I didn't do 60 or 65 in Ca when I drive truck because that would make me a liar.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zorry, just because you try and avoid a car or truck doesn't mean their at fault. We will find out in the next couple of days what part the car played into the crash.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
There were two FedEx drivers killed sounds like FedEx ground.

Now I hope the drivers QC doesn't show speeding, I know no one here wants to here this but California has a 55 mph for truc........

Yeah, probably FedEx Ground. You know, because it says FEDEX FREIGHT on the trailer in the crash photo.

Next, I'd bet the driver's QC doesn't show squat, except maybe what melted plastic and glass look like.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just found out from a different news site that it was a solo driver in the FedEx truck and that the car that was involved was side swiped by the truck. The car was going the same way as the bus.

Solo drivers at FedEx are they usually company drivers that do either relay or local, is that about right.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know a good number of the relay drivers are contractors.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I tried to deflect blame from the driver until the details are out.
The early news reports said both truck drivers were killed which would make one think of of Ground.
Obviously it's Freight, as evidenced by later photos.

I attended funerals for a horrific crash that killed two of our drivers, and good family friends. I was 8 and their kids were my friends.

I was relieved that witnesses said the truck never slowed and the brake lites never came on. We believe the driver in our case had a heartattack and hit the overpass doing full speed.

Still a sad case. Many families will be affected.

drifter

Expert Expediter
What difference does it make now how fast he was running

Sent from my SPH-L720T using EO Forums mobile app