Favoritism or not???

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
Yesterday afternoon get a load offer while we were inbound on a load delivering in Lavergne,tn..it was a less than 75...done it before many times so accepted and got it. 1 HOUR LATER get a c-link telling us we have been taken off the pre-d because another truck was somehow checked out of the express center "accidentally" and had 23 hours dwell time so they get the load.....now I know I get load offers all the time whether im checked in or not...we were 500 miles out...you think that truck wasn't offered the load if they were empty sitting in Nashville? of course they were and would have gotten it over us had they accepted. Im guessing some owner made some calls and raised cane and they got it and now both of us have delivered and they are again ahead of us with the less than 75.....go figure!! Ive been screwed out of loads lots of times but NEVER has dispatched took the other truck off and gave it to me I only get SORRY!!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Well we have been in the situation where we were passed over on a load that should have been ours ( more dwell time and alot closer than the other truck) and dispatch admitted that it should have gone to us, but they couldn't change it.

This is what happens when computers make the decision on who gets what.

And yes, all we got was "sorry".

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday afternoon get a load offer while we were inbound on a load delivering in Lavergne,tn..it was a less than 75...done it before many times so accepted and got it. 1 HOUR LATER get a c-link telling us we have been taken off the pre-d because another truck was somehow checked out of the express center "accidentally" and had 23 hours dwell time so they get the load.....now I know I get load offers all the time whether im checked in or not...we were 500 miles out...you think that truck wasn't offered the load if they were empty sitting in Nashville? of course they were and would have gotten it over us had they accepted. Im guessing some owner made some calls and raised cane and they got it and now both of us have delivered and they are again ahead of us with the less than 75.....go figure!! Ive been screwed out of loads lots of times but NEVER has dispatched took the other truck off and gave it to me I only get SORRY!!

Yes playing favorite's! No doubt!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe it's happened to me.
It used to eat me up. I got over it. As long as the quarter is going fine,we're good.
I also may have been on the winning side of a similar deal without knowing it.
Since I dispatched for our family owned company, then later for a fortune 500 company, I know sometimes things happen that are hard to understand.
And you can't always be fair. Sometimes you know theres a winner and a loser.
In the family company I could explain to the driver the what and the why. Even try to make it up to them later.
In the fortune 500 company I had to follow orders and rules.
The one thing was I was always honest.

When I felt I got shafted big time, I didn't ask for an explanation. It was what it was and we just moved on to our next great adventure.

Now if it happens repeatedly, then we'd need answers.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
And you can't always be fair.

There really is no such thing as "fair" because that term is subjective.

That said, it has been my understanding that FECC makes an attempt at fairness with the automated dispatch system by not over ruling the result of the computer program even if an error occurred. This eliminates the "human factor" and makes random program errors something that can happen without prejudice to any truck at any time.

This policy makes sense in it's consistency as we have all seen errors against our favor but can take solace in the fact that once you are awarded the load, that decision is golden and it will not be taken away. The truck that was "passed over" understands this and the truck awarded the load comes out ahead this time.
The situation in the op sounds like human intervention over riding the computers programmed response which is the start of a slippery slope. This means that the system is now open to inconsistent judgement calls which will effect driver trust and confidence in an already flawed system.
It would be a natural and understandable conclusion for FJK1954 to suspect favoritism in this case and the same would hold true for any truck in their position.
IMHO, based on the information given, this seemed to be an unfortunate decision by someone in dispatch and needlessly fuels the feelings of corporate bias and favoritism.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
Just last week we had a similar experience. We were the only E team in Louisville express center. Had a few hours of glow time. Lost a good load (that we accepted at offered rate) to a truck that just delivered ( wasn't showing up on status check or vru). When we questioned dispatch we were told the other truck was 1 mile closer! What is a mile? And it was a pickup the next day- that 1 mile should never have come into play.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just last week we had a similar experience. We were the only E team in Louisville express center. Had a few hours of glow time. Lost a good load (that we accepted at offered rate) to a truck that just delivered ( wasn't showing up on status check or vru). When we questioned dispatch we were told the other truck was 1 mile closer! What is a mile? And it was a pickup the next day- that 1 mile should never have come into play.

You are right! So how much longer did it take before you did get a run and was it better or worse?

aimeejos

Active Expediter
We got a load later that afternoon for the next day. It was comparable rate wise but a lot heavier and went to WY! Thought we were doomed!!! But the Freight Fairy was shining down on us and we followed that load up with All miles paid to Pickup in Seattle back to Louisville.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Loads to Louisville are always prime loads with the bonus of Mark's Feed Store or Mike Linnig's (or both) as a reward.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I have a good one for you when it comes to dispatching.
I was on the board with one other CR unit when an offer came over. Other truck didn't respond he was waiting really didn't want the load I had 22 hours of dwell and a less than 75, I took the run and got a notification and we all know what it said.
Another truck was inbound after DH 600 miles to layover option and they got the load. I couldn't understand why, I actually knew the other 2 trucks and we were talking about why I didn't get the load so I called CC explained the situation told them I didn't want them to take the load away from other truck just wanted explanation. Answer was other truck had less DH to pu, then after I got off the phone the truck that got the load sent me the load info and I was 25 miles closer only difference was it was offered to them $200 less that to me. The reason for that is I'm a reefer and they're a dry box, so to my way of thinking I was penalized for having a reefer. As a reefer I get 1% more and west coast reefer fuel surcharge.
Such a good system, let that computer keep figuring these things out.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't help your scenario, but part of the DVA system picks and chooses based on the "forecast value of the truck".

I'd wager that your truck is much more valuable to FedEx hauling temperature-controlled freight than dry box freight.

Got passed up by a solo in south Texas once upon a time, even as they arrived later than us, a team. When asked, I got the same response as you did above. Makes sense, actually. Only one place to go from south Texas, and usually it's more than a solo can do in a day for miles.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I must say that this just happened to us in CA. We accepted a load, 28 mile D/H for 2850 loaded miles. We had been sitting for 2 days as was the 2nd truck in the express center when we first arrived. By the beginning of the 2nd day, there was 4 trucks in the service center. After seeing the only other truck ahead of us be dispatched out, we knew we were next in line. We were dispatched out on the load. While preparing the FDCC BOL, the truck next to us said they got a load as well. The exact same pick up location, pick up time-destination the same as well as the delivery time, weight and pieces identical. After their messages started arriving, our c-link sounded that a new message has arrived and what do you suppose it said? Your dispatch plan has been cancelled. Then we were automatically checked back into the express center with a less than 75. The next load op, immediately following the status check message? 775 mile d/h!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do feel your frustration and hope things improve for all who have had this aggravation.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I must say that this just happened to us in CA. We accepted a load, 28 mile D/H for 2850 loaded miles. We had been sitting for 2 days as was the 2nd truck in the express center when we first arrived. By the beginning of the 2nd day, there was 4 trucks in the service center. After seeing the only other truck ahead of us be dispatched out, we knew we were next in line. We were dispatched out on the load. While preparing the FDCC BOL, the truck next to us said they got a load as well. The exact same pick up location, pick up time-destination the same as well as the delivery time, weight and pieces identical. After their messages started arriving, our c-link sounded that a new message has arrived and what do you suppose it said? Your dispatch plan has been cancelled. Then we were automatically checked back into the express center with a less than 75. The next load op, immediately following the status check message? 775 mile d/h!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do feel your frustration and hope things improve for all who have had this aggravation.

Did you talk to anyone about this? How did they explain it? That makes no sense at all.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Did you talk to anyone about this? How did they explain it? That makes no sense at all.

Yes, I did call and speak to them. They said that it was going onto another truck. No other explanation. I try to rationalize the situation; the 775 mi d/h immediately followed the load we were taken of off. I called them again and asked why we are getting a 775 mi d/h op when the load we were taken off of was less than 10 miles. The reply was; "This is most likely gonna be the only load op you will get til Monday or Tuesday. If you want to sit and hope another load comes in, understand that the possibility is almost none." This was on late Friday afternoon. It may not make sense to some, but the rest of that story is that we are a flat rate truck.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
If you are a flat rate truck does the length of dh matter ?

Most definitely. We don't hardly make anything on d/h miles. We try to keep our d/h miles down same as everyone else. Burning a lot of fuel and drive time for no reason is not a good thing unless the loaded miles make up for it, which is not often.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I thought flat rate paid the same, all miles, loaded or empty.
Evidently not.

That's what most people think but unfortunately is not how it works. Its not easy trying to explain to other drivers who approach and ask me about flat rate. It is really a totally different approach to accepting/refusing loads and is not as easy as most think it is. There is a total different thought and research process.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
When we were flat rate we were paid the same rate all miles. DH, loaded and DHPL. A long DH was no problem as we burned less fuel empty than loaded.
Is this a different flat rate program that is based on loaded miles only?

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app