false postive

moca

Expert Expediter
My name is moca
> I was given a random drug test at a large hospital where I work at, this test came up positive for cocaine which is a drug I have not used. I was termenation as a result of this test. I was taking drugs listed below and I need to know if these drugs could show benzoylecgonie in my system. I also had my own test done 2hours after there test was done and it came up neg. for any drugs. this was only an unine test and was not sent to the lab because of the neg. results, however the test taken at my job was sent away to a lab and 6 days later was sent back with a positive reading for cocaine I am very confuse at the results in one test a neg and postive results comming from there lab. Could you please tell me what may have happen to get these type of reading on my test. I have a hearing to fight for my job back on July 14,2003 with the Vice President of Human Resources, is there any advise you can give me to help me fight for my job, I had just made employee of the month working over 1400 accounts and never been in this type of trouble in my life.
>
> In need of help moca Savannah GA
>
> drug given to me by my doctor
>
>
> wellbutrin sr 150mg
> phentermine 30mg
>
> over the conter drugs also taken on the same day as testing was done listed below
> alka-selter
> hyperthemial deit pills
>
> PLEASE RESPOND BACK ASAP !!!!!!
>
>
>
>

:-( :-(

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Did you eat anything that contained poppy seeds that day? A bagel, muffin etc. Poppy seeds will show up in your system as cocain.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

No Neck

gambler

Expert Expediter
1ST in resp. to the "poppy seed" bun/roll comment this isn't seinfeld
the labs dont confuse that anymore and if they did you would have had to eaten 40lbs of them. as for "moca" how interesting someone from a "hospital" career is on a trucking website looking for "help" on a drug issue! hopefully i'm not the only one to be bothered or take offense to this!! ?? im sorry "moca" but the labs also test for "masking agents" and it would appear you are busted. as for your "independant" test am i the only one wondering why you would have taken your own "independant" test 2hrs after taking the companys test????? especially since you later go on to say it was 6days later when you got your results from the company?????? sorry "moca" not all truckdrivers are drug addicts who know all the ways to b.s. around a positive test. i cannot wait to see what some of the "wisemen" have to say about this??? anyone smell something wrong here?

do drugs get tested test positive for drugs/masking agents...LOSE YOUR JOB!!!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I do have to agree on one point with Gambler, and wonder why you came to a Professional Driver website to find the info, when you worked in a hospital.

That being said, there are several things that can give a false reading, and it would do all drivers good to be aware of this, so they are prepared. There's a reason they say to write down "ALL" prescription and over the counter medications you are taking when you take a drug test. Several things give a false reading in initial testing, but if there are other test they can perform, if you tell them you are taking a medications which may give a false reading.

My case in point.. I take a prescription medication for the treatment of acid reflux... my doctor warned me, that it can cause a false reading for Marijuana! I'm so glad he told me! Everytime I've taken a test since then, I've told them what he said, and they agreed, and made a special note on my form.

Other common problems.Substances known to cause false positive readings in tests and the drugs they mimic:

Advil - marijuana
nasal sprays - amphetamines
Sudafed - amphetamines
tonic water - cocaine or heroin
Benadryl - methadone
Vicks inhaler - heroin
Motrin - marijuana
Some antacids - marijuana

Certain other prescription pain medications will give false readings for amphetamines, or speed as commonly referred to, as will over the counter Diet Pills, or Metabolism Boosters, such as Metabolife, Stacker 2, Xenadrine, etc...

- Source: Central Pharmacy

Now lets see.... you took

Wellbutrin... an antidepressant

Phentermine.. metabolism boosting diet pill

Over the counter Hypothermal Diet pill. another metabolism booster..

You had 3 'uppers' in your system! It's no wonder you tested positive! Anyone of them alone is enough to show positive. The combination of the 3, would probably put you well into the realm of "too much". I would not want to drive with all of those in me, and I'm a very big man...lol. I would say if you DID list all your medications, the combination alone would have set off red flags with them. I feel safe in saying, they would not want you to work with all of THOSE in you, let alone cocaine... the combination would make a person very 'jittery'... because the body would react as if on speed, they make your heart race, and your blood pressure sky rocket...

Just my opinion.. and a little info...

Dreamer

gambler

Expert Expediter
dreamer also you may want to note as i mentioned also...why was "moca" testing herself 2hrs after taking a piss test????? seems odd unless you had something to hide and wanted to check...puts up a big red flag to me....??????

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I echo the above comments,why come to a trucking website for info on how to beat a failed drug test. Do you think all truckers use drugs.In myn 15 years on the road I have never been approached to buy or sell drugs.One time on the radio I heard a deal going down and it sounded to me that it was a setup. Next question,what do you do at a hospital that requires you to take a random test? It!s obvious that you are not a neuro surgeon. I was unaware that hospital personel had to take random tests,but if you do work at a hospital surely the pharmacy department could explain the postive readings based on your pperscription drugs. I smell a reporter trying to get a story about truckers using drugs..

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Rich... actually, I don't know how it is in other states, but many companies here in Ohio have random drug testing. As a condition of employment, you sign an agreement to accepting random drug testing as required. Even when I worked at a local pizza place for a while, years ago, they had it in place, and I saw more than one driver, cook, assistant manager, etc.. get busted for a dirty test.. at a utility co I worked for, they could call us at any time, and we had 30 minutes to report to the testing center down the block!

My wife has friends who are nurses, and in billing dept at hospital, even a janitor... they are all randomly checked, usually at least once a month.

Gambler... guess you're right on that one too! LOL.. didn't catch that part.. why WOULD you take another test 2 hours after taking the mandatory one, unless you had reason to believe you might have something show up... now.. 2 hours after receiving questionable RESULTS, I could see.. but not 2 hours after peeing! I see your point! LOL... Red Flag Alert!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know that a lot of places like Home Depot have pre employment drug testing,but I thought that the only industries that did random screening were the transportation and the power plant industries. I wonder what would happen to the Ken and Barbie TV news types and the other media newscasters like ( I am the greatest and my name is Geraldo and don!t you forget it) if they had to take random tests.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If people in the "E" world had to take random drug testing, we would be reading a lot more and getting our "E" like in the good old days. The radio. Why not go to the "E" world and post your "?" moca???? You may get some answers.

LilFoot

Expert Expediter
In case anyone is interested, I think Moca left as quickly as she came. It seems she took such offense, that she rated herself with a neutral rating. I guess she didn't appreciate the replies to her post, good or bad. I too smell something fishy in Savannah. Personally, I can't understand her claim that she didn't know she was on a trucking Web site. If in fact her situation is real, my prayers go out to her and her family.

LilFoot