extra axle

kev co

Expert Expediter
need some help i have a d truck with a xtra axle can scale 22000 lbs and we run as a team.Can anyone tell me from past or present experience which company would be the best to go to??? would like to pull some of the heavier loads that pay a little better. Thanks for any input:)

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I was with Landstar Express America there were units like yours which got loads because of their extra capacity. Eaton in Kings Mountain, SC was one shipper which used this extra capacity.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Wish we would of had an extra axle when we were at Landstar. Had some friends that had the drop axle, and they were run a lot better than we were. It always seemed that the LTL loads from the sister companies were always a little to heavy for our truck. Another benefit you should have with them would be, the agents should get to know who you are a lot faster when you have something to set you apart from a lot of the rest of the fleet.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you looking to lease on with a company or are you going into it alone?

Here is some help if you are going into it on your own:
Some of the shippers you may want to stay away from are the auto industry shippers. They always want a discount. I found that if you (An O/O) have a contract with a shipper, they seem to always want some type of discount. Some of the types of shippers you may want to go after are shippers that do bulk printing, or bulk mail. The medical shippers are another good source. The best way to start with a shipper is slow at first. Show your enthusiasm and ability. Prove your integrity then go after them to lock him in. It may be good idea to give all the credit to the shipper so he looks good. Most shippers have to answer to someone else, so the more feathers (pat on the back) they get the more trips you get.

DragonLadyTN

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We currently have a truck with tag at Tri-State. We are pulling the heavier loads at the higher rate.