Expert Opinion For a New Van

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need a van to cover another dedicated run and would like some expert advice on the right one to get. Can any of you van owners or other members out there give me any advice or suggestion on which one to get? The van will be running about 3200 miles a week doing a dedicated run, so I will need something that will run good and be reliable.

I was leading towards the new Sprinter from Freightliner, but don't know enough about them yet. The Spriter also may alittle to big for that run. I've been reading a lot of info about them, but will wait another year or two before I buy one of those, if I buy one at all. I will go with a GMC or MOPAR, depending on your feed back. Can anyone help with this question?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I shopped for vans a few months back, was considering running one along with my D unit. I scrapped the idea, but here's what I found out:
As far as diesel vans, the Sprinter is big in volume, powerful (for 2.7 liters) and gets great mileage. It's stock wheels are too small. Maintenance and repairs will most likely be costly with the thing. It's 5 speed automatic is complex. I noted it was very comfortable to drive with Ispringhausen seats and carlike response, plus all accessories (PW/PL, A/C, etc.) are standard. Payload is 3700 lb. on the high roof 2500 w/158' wb, 4000 on 140" wb.
Ford diesel vans have a good engine and sucky transmission, GMC a good transmission and sucky engine.
If you want a gas job, I'd go with GMC vortec power. Van guy at our Co. routinely runs 3500 model 5.7's to half a million with few troubles. Can't ask for better than that.
I don't know much about Mopar exc. they don't have a diesel offering. Cummins ISB pickup motor is too big to shoehorn into a van. Not sure how their magnum gas engines hold up on the highway.
-Weave-

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
I have a chevy and am very pleased with it.I got the 3500 long wheelbase and built a bed and put a tv on the wall. I have talked to alot of owners and they all say the same thing.CHEVY GAS AND FORD DIESEL is the only way to go.Chevy has come out with a new diesel and it will be available in the van soon.The Sprinter as we will soon find out is made for Fed Ex door to door delivery. The over the road application will take its toll on this truck. Look at the horsepower on the sprinter and tell me how you are going to run 3000 pound loads at 65 or 70 mile per hour in the mountians.The tranny will shift it self to death. By the way the tranny is over 6000 dollars to replace. Seats in the sprinter are so thin in the back they cant be very comfortable. Just an observation of mine but look around and see what is being used and then do likewise. The old chevy 350 is bullet proof.

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No opinion, but a question: Ford 1 ton extended with gas engine, and auto trans: Is this a good combination for long distance hauling or do they have a lot of trouble with these?

DooWop

Jack

Expert Expediter
GM Van (either GMC Savanna or Chevy Express), 3500 extended, gasoline. Engine runs forever, idling doesn't bother it, quiet, body is tight, seats comfortable, much better than Ford. That's what I was told when I was shopping for my first van, and I believe it today after 300,000 miles, and still running.

Jack

Expert Expediter
Darned if I know what engine/tranny/rear end combination I have. I just bought it from the dealer brand-new, checking only to see that I got the 5.7 engine. Didn't know there were other combinations available, that's how green I was. Anyway, it never lugs on a full load up the mountains, gets 16 mpg, so I guess standard equipment does the job. I'd be happy to hear of any other combos that would get better mileage, without costing a lot.